HybridZ

Fab materials for grease trap

MatMan

I am in the design stage of converting an old (turn of the LAST century) barn into a workshop, and have a question for the Community:

I want to install a concrete slab floor, with a grate-and-gutter drain running down the center piped into a grease trap with the rough dimensions of 22"X30"X25". I was wondering if the price of sheet steel (1/8") for fabbing this box with a hinged top (for clean-out) and lined with POR-15 (to protect against any chemical spills) would be any better than the price of a similar sized pre-manufactured unit (please see this link: http://zurn.com/operations/lightcommercial/pdfs/specsheets/63802.pdf).

The best price (excluding shipping) I have found is $515.

I am unfamiliar with the price of sheet steel in the Sacramento area.

Thanks in advance!!!

Mat, try to find an industrial supply house in Sac. Here in Seattle we have Pacific Industrial Supply. http://www.pacificindustrial.com They charge for sheet metal by the lb, and they have tons of scrap pieces.

What do you need this for? You just going to dump coolant and oil on the ground and let it run into the trap? I can't imagine it's required by the local codes...

Sorry for taking so long....

John, Thanks! That's what I was looking for.

Jon, I will look into Pac. Ind. And, no, I wasn't going to actually dispose of bulk liquids down that drain. A grease trap isn't required by code, I just don't want that drain connected to the septic without catching anything that may "possibly" be hosed down the drain. I have read more than a few times on this site that a motor transplant deposits a bunch of stuff on the garage floor, just taking a pro-active approach.

MONGO510. I have been debating digging a hole and forming a trap for concrete, but the baffles and interior vents offer a level of complexity that I am unsure about trying to accomplish with cement.

Thanks for your comments!

• 2 weeks later...

Where will the product be placed? Will it need to be traffic rated?

How long do you want it to last?

I know that corrosion is a problem with building it out of steel. If not in a traffic area, why not build out of plastic? You can pick up an old RV water tank, cut some holes in it... cut the top and put baffles in it... then put the top back on with a handle on it. You won't have to worry about corrosion or leaky welds.

you can reference http://www.schierproducts.com They have list prices as well.