HybridZ

How much to replace 2 floor pans?

VinhZXT

Hi guys,

How much would you pay someone to replace the 2 floor pans on the first gen Z? Just met a guy today and he is dropping off his 240Z for me to replace his floor pans. I can fab up the floor pans and weld them in but I don't know how much to charge the guy. Also what is the trick you guys used to weld the floor supports to the floor if you don't flip the car over? The only way I can think of is to cut the floor supports out and weld them into the floor pans first. Then after welding the floor pans into the car then reconnect the ends of the floor support to the frames. Thanks for any pointer guys.

Vinh

To answer your question about the floor supports. I just used a spot weld remover and cut the spot welds out from the inside of the car. That way you just need to drill holes in the new floor pan in about the same locations as the floor supports and weld them up. Also you will need to remove the seat supports and weld them back in. Remember to use the seat rail as a guide to make sure they are put in about the correct location.

As for price to do it!! Boy it took me many, many and many more hours to put floor pans and frame rails in my car, so no idea there, sorry.

HB280ZT

Vin,

Back in 2001 I had the floor pans on both sides replaced by a small (one man) body shop. I stripped the interior and purchased the pans from Zedd Findings. The total labor cost was $1500. Ouch... He did a nice job but things are expensive when you don't do them yourself. I felt lucky that I was able to find someone wanted to do it. Two body jobs turned down the job because it was a t-top car. I quess 40 hours / $1500 = $ 37.50 per hour. Guess that's not too bad in retrospect.

I charge $1,200 to $1,750 depending on how prepped the car is when its brought into the shop. Its all labor, so the more time you spend cleaning and removing the interior, paint, undercoating, and sound deadener the less you pay.

Think aobut the seat mounts. If you're planning on replacing the stock seats now's the time to revise the seat mounts to match whatever you're putting in the car. That will add to the price.

Thank you everyone for the info. I really appreciate it. It would be a lot easier if I were to strip the car down and put it on my rotisserie to work on it. But if I do that then if will become a full restoration job and I don't think this guy can afford it. I don't think this guy know what is he getting himself into. He came into my shop and saw my Z sitting on the rotisserie upside down and he wants me to work on his Z immediately. I don't do outside work now aday but when I do I charge $50/hr for my labor. I haven't seen the car yet so I don't know how bad is the floor. I will have to take a look and discuss the price and his option based on that. I think I will just cut out the rust areas and weld new metal there instead of replacing the whole floor pan. Even if I patch a couple of holes it will cost him more than $300 already. I am a good welder btw. I have sheet metal and a giant sheet metal breaker so I can make the floor pan myself.

I just found out more info about this car. It's been sitting for a long time as well so the carb will need to be rebuilt. The car will be towed to my shop today so I will find out more about it. Will keep you guys posted on this. Thanks again

Vinh

Alright guys,

Got the car back at my shop today and it's not good news for the owner. Both floor pans and floor supports need to be replaced. Both floor pans are filled with fiberglass. The car is missing the right fender. The rear bumper got a big dent in it. The right side frame rail is rusted from front to back. This car is pretty much junks. The guy paid $500 for it and $85 to tow it back to my shop. He said the car runs. I asked him how much he plan to put into this car and he said 2 to 3K. What do you guys think? I have to write up an estimate for all the major repair and let him decide what he wants to do. I want to help this guy out but I don't want to spend too much of my time because I got my projects to do as well. Thanks for any ideas or encouragement guys.

Vinh

Both floor pans and floor supports need to be replaced. $1,750.00

The car is missing the right fender. $500.00

The right side frame rail is rusted from front to back. $750.00

In addition you'll probably have to replace:

Both rocker panels and the underlying support panels. $1,500.00

Battery tray. $500.00

Rear hatch striker. $250.00

Figure $5,250.00 to make the car structurally sound.

As a point of reference, I just sold a structurally sound 1971 series 1 240Z with a completely rebuilt suspension, new clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing, and new wheels and tires for $6,500.00.

JohnC,

Thank you very much for the responses. I will use your numbers as a guide. I've just recently repaired the floor pans, rockers and battery tray on another Z so I can estimate how many hours it will take. However this was done on a Z that was on a rotisserie so it was much easier to weld. I think this guy wants to replace the floors, floor supports and have the frame rail patched. I've seen quite a few people on here welding the floor supports on top of the pan and it should be easy to do. His rocker panels are OK. I will have to check the frame rails carefully before I begin. If they are rotten I won't touch this car.

Again thank you all for the responses. If I end up fixing the car I will post some pixture b4 and after.

Vinh

OK I just got myself another Z,8 total now. Who needs parts for a 240Z? The guy just gave me the car. I am going to try to clean the gas tank and get the car running so I can move the car around my shop. I do feel bad for him so I made a deal with him. He said he got a 1976 911 with some electrical issues and I will take a look and fix it for him without charging him.

OK I just got myself another Z,8 total now. Who needs parts for a 240Z? The guy just gave me the car. I am going to try to clean the gas tank and get the car running so I can move the car around my shop. I do feel bad for him so I made a deal with him. He said he got a 1976 911 with some electrical issues and I will take a look and fix it for him without charging him.

Hey is the int black? I need all the black platic trim. When I was "new" which I still am to Z's......I broken all of them taking my car apart. When you so 8 total, meaning you had in your life time or what you have on hand now? lol

EvilC,

8 total now. I had up to 10 a few months ago. Still trying to down size my Z collections. I am not sure what I want to do with this car just yet. It is very complete inside though so I won't remove anything off it any time soon.

PS. I got the car running this evening after cleaning out the gas tank and replaced the spark plugs. yeahhhh now I can move it around the shop and maybe take it out on the street for a few burn outs lol.

EvilC,

8 total now. I had up to 10 a few months ago. Still trying to down size my Z collections. I am not sure what I want to do with this car just yet. It is very complete inside though so I won't remove anything off it any time soon.

PS. I got the car running this evening after cleaning out the gas tank and replaced the spark plugs. yeahhhh now I can move it around the shop and maybe take it out on the street for a few burn outs lol.

Any with complete blk int? You have plenty of Z's......any pics of the lot?

Ernie,

I have 3 ZXTs and a ZX N/A and 4 first gen Z. The one in the best shape is my Cobra project. The next one is on the rotisserie that my lil brother is working on. The one I just got actually looks pretty good except for the frame rails. I might fix this car in the future. I also have another 2+2 for parts.

Clive,

Sorry I have only one Z with the black interior and my lil bro is working on the car so he will need the interior. My Cobra has white interior. The new Z I just got has red interior. The 2+2 has brown interior lol.

I also bought a 98 Honda Accord with light front end damage for $500. I will fix this car up and use it as a daily driver instead of my ZXR.

BTW I have another guy locally begging me to buy his 240Z lol. He said it's in very good shape but not running. The only problem is he wants $1500 for it. I will wait until he begs me to tow it out of his lot for free lol.