HybridZ

Seized Header Nut - Help?

Guest Arvin

I wish that I was asking for help with a 240z, but unfortunately I don't have one yet. Since a lot of you seem to have experience working with all kinds of problems on cars (namely aged and exposed ones), I thought I'd give it a shot here. I have a sentra, but nuts are nuts, right?

It seems that the dealership impact-wrenched the 14mm header nuts extra hard when they replaced it last year.

I'm tring to put on an aftermarket header, but I'm having a crazy-hard time getting the nuts off. I sprayed them with PB blaster anti-seize and let them soak for a few hours. Came back with and they didn't bulge. SoI got a blow torch and heated them for a while so they'd expand - nothing. Now three of them are pretty badly stripped and rounded off.

anyone have any ideas on how to get these stubborn nuts off?

If they are nuts I would try some pb blaster, it is the best for getting in and loosing. If that fails Then I have to resort to a chisel and hammer and try ti noth it and turn it that way, if not then split the nut in half. Hopefully you can get to them.

John

John, is there a way i can split the nut in half without damaging the stud?

Yes, I take the cheisel at an agnle and try to grt it to dig in the stripped nut with a hammer and try it to turn, if that fials where it starts to dig in I place it on the nut and beat some and it usually will punch through the nut with out damage to the thread, now sometime I will have to straighten the stud back. I had to do this last week on a sand rail project I am working on, all the exhaust nuts were rounded off. I had to do it to 4 of of them and did not damage the threads. Remeber to sharpen the cheisel.

John

John, is there a way i can split the nut in half without damaging the stud?