HybridZ

Harmonic Balancer size.

This may be a basic wuestion but I don't know the answer and failed to find it by searching. I have built a basically stock 350 (1969 motor) for a nother application and during break in noticed the harmonic balancer is all wobbly. It is a 6.75 dia, I have an 8" one laying around, not sure where I got it, can I use it on this 350? Will it effect anything?

Thanks

Jeff

Remember sbc 350 are internal balanced. Yes the 8" balancer will work as long as it is for a 350. Remember they also made 8" balancers for sbc 400 which are externally balanced. My rule of thumb is 6.75 are 350 internal and 8" factory balancers are external for 400. Need to be damn sure it is not a 400 balancer before installing it. If you turn the balancer over, look for a counter weight, if it has one then it is for a 400 sbc.

John

personally ID take it down to the local machine shop and ask THIER opinion and have it bead blasted and mag checked for cracks and painted if it passes, but that APPEARS to be a internal ballanced damper. the timing tab you have probably won,t clear and Id check that the TDC on the damper corrosponds with the true TDC placement , youll need a piston stop and degree wheel to check

( this should print and glue in place for a quick check)

http://www.tavia.com/free_degree_wheel.html

Ok, here it is, no counter weights but has 3 holes drilled in it. What do you think?

It looks identical to the one that came on the stock '74 Camaro 350 SBC I bought for my Z. However, if Grumpy says to get it checked, you probably should. Sandblasting it would be a good idea too.

Davy

theres a good chance its fine! but NEVER install ANYTHING thats goint to be spinning thousands of RPMs without being reasonably sure its not going to come flying apart under sudden load changes like shifting at 6000 rpm produce, its not likely to cut your feet off like a flywheel explosion with no scatter shield , but its mighty inconvienent to have the steering develope a mind of its own at 130mph, because shrapnel cut thru your steering linkage SO HAVE it CHECKED/TESTED....at a minimum!!

your alternative is expensive but tested to 18,000 rpm and certified

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2DB64265&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Excellent guys, thanks for the help.

Hey Grumpy, I work in manufacturing and have a level II in L.P. and Mag particle NDE. Will make sure she's good. Thanks for the advice.

I was searching my memory to figure out where I got it from. As it turns out, the timing cover I used on this motor has the tab in the right location for this balancer so they must have gone together. I have parts from a 77 vette 350 laying around as well as and a mid 80's chevy truck 350. Any guess as to which one would have used this large balancer?