HybridZ

Haltech or AEM?

1FASTKINGCAB

• Administrators

Have you given any thought to WOLF EMS? I recently purchased a universal WOLF V500 system for my Supercharged V-8 Z project that I plan to run DIS. WOLF even offers plug and play systems for some vehicles as well.

I haven’t done much playing with it yet, but so far it is VERY impressive. The menus are very intuitive. For instance, lets say you want/need to work with a particular sensor for some reason. Just click on “configurations”, and “sensor setup”, wa la… No muddling through other menus to deal with a sensor setting or configuration buried elsewhere in the menus, (You Electromotive and Mega Squirt users know what I’m talking about). WOLF has its own diagnostics, several boost controls and trim adjustment’s etc. I have heard in casual conversation, (not from the dealer), that WOLF is close to being on par to MOTEC as far as performance, features, etc, but costing much less.

Also, for anyone wanting Sequential EFI and Distributorless Coil on Plug ignition control for their V-8, you’ve already know there isn’t much in the way of 8 cylinder support. Mostly 4 cylinder and some 6 cylinder systems. WOLF V500 has 8 individual injector channels AND 8 individual ignition channels.

Here is a pic of the ECU and a few screens shots.

WOLF V500 next to a n OE ’78 280 ECU

ECUsMedium.jpg

Sensors screen..

SensorsCustom.jpg

Fuel modifiers screen…

FuelModifiersCustom.jpg

Ignition modifiers screen…

IgntinomodifiersCustom.jpg

• Administrators

Sorry for jacking this thread away from Haltech & AEM.

NismoZed,

I think the 2k price is AU dollars. It is more like $1550 US dollars, (on the WOLF web site, in the bottom corner, click on the US flag for US dollars.)

For what its worth, Ron Tyler is a WOLF EMS dealer and if I’m not mistaken, I think he mentioned elsewhere on the forum that he is offering a discount to Hybrid members and, in the near future will be offering the WOLF EMS with a base fuel/ign config/map to shorten the start up time for new users. You’d have to contact him at the address below for more info. If he sees this thread, maybe he’ll chime in…

ron@primeems.com

You can't go wrong with either Haltech or Wolf EMS. I've installed a version 3 and 4 Wolf EMS system, and had excellent results.

A friend has an AEM unit in his 560WHP turbo S2000 (yes, 560WHP), but he is always messing with it, an has yet to get it drivable. It's either belching black smoke, or running like crap. He hates it, but because it plugs into the stock harness and sensors, he is using it. In the near future he will probably bite the bullet and go stand alone.

You can't go wrong with either Haltech or Wolf EMS. I've installed a version 3 and 4 Wolf EMS system, and had excellent results.

A friend has an AEM unit in his 560WHP turbo S2000 (yes, 560WHP), but he is always messing with it, an has yet to get it drivable. It's either belching black smoke, or running like crap. He hates it, but because it plugs into the stock harness and sensors, he is using it. In the near future he will probably bite the bullet and go stand alone.

Dude, AEM is a standalone. I am sure you know that; must've mistyped or meant getting a wolf. AEM is a very nice one, IMHO. Many peeps say they hate the AEM because they can't get the drivability right. It's not for a hobbyist tuner to start out on unless they are willing to learn and deal with some of that. That being said, one of AEM's biggest issues is drivability and funky response to adjusting the maps.

I am factory trained on the AEM and have tuned quite a few others. I wouldn't hesitate to get an AEM, but the Wolf definitely looks quite impressive. It appears to have some nice features similar to the MoTeC.

I'd say if you can get an AEM that is drop in, do it. Otherwise get the Wolf if it's around the same price.

AEM makes units that plug into the factory S2000 harness. That is what he is using: http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=62

I consider a stand alone system one that can be used in any car, and comes with its own harness. If it is plug and pl;ay with the stock ECU, it is not a stand alone system.

Yes, the problems he has is drivability, not max power.

BTW, do you consider getting 560WHP from an S2000 hobbyist tuning?

BTW, do you consider getting 560WHP from an S2000 hobbyist tuning?

Not really sure what you mean by that. I wasn't flinging insults at anyone; just my general view of the most common reason that ppl don't like the AEM; the drivability tuning.

Obviously it isn't, so obviously that tuner (you I suppose?) isn't a hobbyist.

I certainly don't think that only hobbyists don't like the AEM. I know many tuners that either hate or love the AEM. :-)

• Administrators

Just a quick post script to WOLF;

What really sold me on the WOLF set up is a friend of ours has a very nicely set up BMW E-30 M3 with a nicely built 2.5 BMW S14 four cylinder and he is currently running N/A with 750cc injectors controlled with a Wolf V4, (he plans to install his big turbo very soon hence the huge by large injectors), and his idle quality is crisper and more stable than it was with OE EFI, even with those huge 750cc injectors. Power delivery is seamless through all transitions and conditions and drivability is as pleasant and seamless as OE if not nicer.

Here is a short list of features as listed on the outside of the box my v500 came in..

FUEL;

High resolution 3D maps.

2048 points, 125 RPM steps.

Easy tuning modes.

0.0035mS Fine resolution.

8 full sequential outputs.

Smart, fault reporting drivers.

Drive 1-32 injectors.

Many Dynamic trims, (such as air or coolant temp, boost, pretty much anything you can think of).

IGNITION;

High resolution 3D maps.

2048 points, 125 RPM steps.

Easy tuning modes.

0.1 degree Fine resolution.

8 full sequential outputs.

Smart, fault reporting drivers.

Drive 1-8 ignition coil packs.

Many dynamic trims, (such as air or coolant temp, boost, pretty much anything you can think of).

CONTROL;

Dual memory system.

Power/Economy modes.

Wide-Band Air Fuel Ratio.

Closed Loop control.

Idle speed control.

Stepper motor driver.

Turbo Boost Control.

Turbo Timer support.

ENGINES;

Run engines up to 16 cylinders.

Full Rotary engine support.

Internal Map sensor to 30 PSI, (supports external MAP as well).

N/A, Turbo, Super Charged, N2O.

A wide range of direct plug in ECU’s are available as well as the universal stand alone.

AUXILARY I/O

Dedicated outputs:

Thermo fan, Fuel pump, boost control, Idle speed.

15+Aux inputs/Outputs:

VTEC/VVT, NOS, Shift lights, Water spray, Stepper motor, Emission control, Wheel speed and more…

SOFTWARE;

Latest 3D graphing.

Graphical Data logging.

Table Data logging.

Variable speed log playback.

On-screen dash boards.

Easy tuning and set up modes.

DASH BOARD;

Separate WOLF DASH V500:

Backlit graphics display.

Dash or window mount.

Live ECU tuning.

Moving graph data logging.

Dash board readouts.

Gauge readouts.

Security system.

SIZE;

Very compact:133mm x 104mm x 40mm, (5.23” x 4.09” x 1.57”)

Lightweight: only 500 grams, (1.10 lbs)

WOLF v500

http://wolfems.cart.net.au/details/635751.html

WOLF DASH;

http://wolfems.cart.net.au/details/632479.html

Brad, let me read more about it and then we can decide. As Paul indicated, they make a V500 version now.

From my experience, the Wolf systems give you easier tuning, and better drivability. Even my old version 3.0 unit still works like a charm.

• Administrators
Brad, let me read more about it and then we can decide. As Paul indicated, they make a V500 version now.

Hi Pete,

Here are some spec's to chew on...

V51-1.jpg

V52.jpg

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

From my experience, the Wolf systems give you easier tuning, and better drivability. Even my old version 3.0 unit still works like a charm.

Agreed. I think this is Wolfs 'specialty'... easy to use and impressive drivability.

• 2 weeks later...

I am using AEM in my 510 and even though it was a pain to setup(a Honda 1040 unit was used).The flexability of the AEM and the option of being able to use boost per mph , anti lag ,traction controll are what sold me.And being able to use the secondary injector controll for a methanol injection system using 160lb methanol compatable injectors.I am slowly learning how to play with the AEM and continue to be impressed.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2071134