HybridZ

Just a few ms. questions

wreckedj30

Ok i've got a 280zxt i'm going to be swapping the motor tranny into a 240z, in a month or so. I have just a few questions.

First, which ms. system should i get, right now the car is mostly stock uncept for the z31 ecu swap i just did, thats pissing me off. I'm looking at diy, for the ms. kit, but just was wondering which options i should get.

Second, i like how some of you all are running distributor less, it looks much cleaner, i have a wrecked j30 out back and was wondering if i could use the coil packs off of it. And what all do i need to take from it. Parts wise, just wondering before i move away from the car and can't snag parts of it every day.

I know i'm gonna get ragged on, but i did search, but i just don't understand some of the big ass words said..lol. Oh and if i can't go distributor less right away, can i still use the z31 chopper wheel, cause i don't have the s130t one any more...Thanks for the replies.

I know i'm gonna get ragged on

bumping after 4 hours, yeah you should probably re-evaluate using megasquirt. I would say you don't have the patience for it.

Start training yourself to accept that it might take days, weeks or possibly months to get megasquirt installed and working depending on your level of knowledge and the luck you have with MS.

• Administrators

You will definitely need patience with Mega Squirt, especially if you are starting from scratch. Remember, MS cost less than other equally powerful EFI systems for a reason. You will end up spending more time with it, getting it configured, set up, and running, than you might with an SDS, WOLF, Halttech, etc, system.

Back to your question.

You could use MS-II which is EDIS friendly or MSnS-e which is also EDIS friendly, that way you have complete fuel and Distributorless Ignition control. The EDIS is pretty simple and straightforward. I did the MSnS-E with EDIS and found the EDIS to be especially straight forward once I researched how it worked etc. My N/A L-28 ran great with it. ZYA is also running a similar set up with his supercharged L-28.

Getting the MS configured fuel wise was way tougher than getting MS configured for EDIS. I think people have less troubles going EDIS than they do trying to control any of the optional dizzys for the L-6 using MS. The EDIS parts also can be had for really inexpensive, especially if you are willing to scrounge around a U-pull-it wrecking yard yourself. EDIS-6 came on mid to late ‘90’s Ford vehicles and you will need one from a V-6, i.e. (there is PLENTY of documentation here on Hybrid for which vehicles to find the EDIS-6 parts).

For EDIS, you will need a 36-1 missing tooth crank trigger wheel, period. No chopper wheel, no 60-2, no 3 lug, etc. It has to be a crank wheel with 36 teeth, one of which to be missing. The only known optional coils for EDIS, other than the Ford coil packs, are the Chrylser coil packs. Not sure if the GM coil packs are compatible

Now if you want to go COP ignition with MS, be prepared for LOTS of research, lots of experimentation, and don’t be alarmed if you fry a few coils or other electronic ignition components during the COP set up, conifg, tuning, etc. COP with MS is not for the faint of heart.

Good luck,

-Assembled PCB3.0 ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-56.html )

-Wiring harness ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...eady-p-43.html )

-Stimulator ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...unit-p-33.html )

-CLT ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/c...tail-p-58.html )

-IAT ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/o...tail-p-62.html )

-not exactly needed but LC1 wideband ( http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/i...nsor-p-41.html )

I would definately go with MS, even though NismoPick just spent all that time putting in the Z31 ECU, haha

That should be all you need though. And as for using the J30 coil packs.. I have no clue, you would have to ask somone more knowledgable.

And I would definately use DIY, great costumer service!

ALso, Why are you swapping your motor into a 240Z, I thought you already put money into the ZX?

Looks like I don't have much to add here, but there is one thing I'd like to comment on. For installing an injected engine in a car that previously had a carburetor, a relay board will make things a lot easier. I've done a carb to EFI swap without it, and found it would have been easier to get a board with all the relays and fuses on it. If you decide you want to go with the relay board, instead of the harness, you will want to go with a relay cable to connect the Megasquirt to the relay board, and a wire bundle to connect the relay board to the engine.

Yeah the only reason i bumped is cause this site, works hella quickly and was hoping you didn't forget about me. ok so all i need is the edis setup for a 90's ford, and crank trigger. No problem then. But theres no way to setup the j30 coil packs, and use that setup? Its the same as a z32. Ktm, yeah i kind of got over the zx, its a little to bulky for me and i want a lighter smaller car so i can sneak up on vette's and others that are unexpecting....I'm looking into a vg30dett or a 302 ford turbo'd for the zx...maybe. Thats for the help. One more thing where is the crank trigger wheel in the fords?

• Administrators

But theres no way to setup the j30 coil packs, and use that setup?

The J30 coils wouldn't be the most elegant solution.... at least in unmodified form. They are 'tall' to reach down into the head.

As Braap mentioned, COP with MS is not well documented... better be willing to commit some time.

One more thing where is the crank trigger wheel in the fords?

On the nose of the crank.

I don't know the pattern on the Z31 chopper wheel but I know on3go had some problems with his z31 chopper wheel when he was switching over to MS from SDS. I ended up selling him my 83 turbo dizzy and that got the thing running.

Opinions... I would say go the route most traveled. That includes MS I (although I have had a smooth experience tuning and helping setup a MS II powered Z) PCB v3.0 and a relay board to help you rip out all the old wiring. Use the 83 turbo dizzy, and run ignition through an MSD, High current coil driver (VB921) or gm hei module. Any of those choices will be faster than seting up any COP or Waste spark system.

Unless, of course, you're up for the challenge of seting up a complicated ignition system.

If you have already attempted swapping the 300zx ecu into your car, then you have at least had a crash course in setting up ECU's. That should be more than enough experience (along with all the help you can get here) to setup your Megasquirt.

GL

-Oliver