HybridZ

Help! Wheel Problem!

I have a 79 280zx and I ordered honda wheel adapters from http://www.technotoytuning.com/products/wheel_adapters.html. They are 1.5" thick. I am putting on +40 offset rims on the car and the studs on the rotors arent long enough to get the wheel adapter on. What did I do wrong. I thought 280zx are supposed to have 1.5" wheel adapters.

Help please! thanks!

Did you get the same one's that are in the link you included? I don't know if a 280ZX can use the same adapters as a 240Z, but they look just like the one's I got from ModernMotorsports for my 240Z. The stock studs should be long enough to allow you to bolt on the adapters. Could you give a better description of what you had to start and what you got? How long are your stock studs?

my stock studs are the same as everyone elses. I have never modded anything so it should be the same as other peoples. I asked others who did the same thing to their z with 4x100 honda adapters to +40 offset and I bought exactly the same size they got. My mechanic is saying that the lugnuts arent bolted on enough and that its going to fall off. but when you look at that picture it looks exactly the same. is that the way the adapters go on?

Based on the picture...it looks like your mechanic is right. The stud should be just about flush, or sticking out slightly, from the top of the lugs. If the lugs are only grabbing a couple of the threads of your studs, that sounds pretty dangerous to me.

lol so what do i do?? im screwed! i have $200 adapters and $800 in rims and tires. how did other people do it?

Either your using the wrong lugnuts or someone switched out your studs to shorter ones. Are the inside of the lugnuts sitting flush on the adapters (are both surfaces flat, or does the adapter have a tapered seat that requires a tapered lugnut)? Are the studs on the other wheels the same length? If you need to switch the studs, it shouldn't be too hard to do.

first off, the 280zx studs are going to be short becuz most of them came with aluminum wheels that required long shank lug nuts that dont damage the rims. you are going to have to take the hub on the front off and knock out the studs and get longer ones. as for the rears you have to take the rotor off and knock out the studs and replace with longer ones also. this is gonna cost you about $2-$5 a stud. i know this b/c i had the same problem and resolved it. dont blow a gasket as it will be worth it in the end. and you should be able to get it at any autoparts store, make sure you have one of your original studs with you.

wow i love you haha thank you so much. do you know what part number studs you got? i just got back from the store and they dont have anything that matches the stock size but longer.
Doing a search I found info at another z car site (classiczsomething). but the quote is from Dan Juday one of our members:

"Quest Van wheel stud specs

I went looking for these here a few weeks ago and found no definite answers from the search function. So here for your info are the actual measurements.

We all know that the diameter and thread pitch are the same as the Z. And the splines are the same. The trick is the length.

From shoulder to end 46mm (1 13/16").

Installed in the front hubs they extend 36.5mm (1 7/16")

No report yet on length when installed on the rear.

Napa Auto Parts part#641-2785. $1.90 each.

So now you know."

FWIW, the Modern-Motorsports adapters work with no modifications to the hubs/studs. I would think these other adapters would work if they are made the same way...if they aren't it sure is a pain in the tookuss to have to do all that extra work. Let us know how it works out! Good luck.

Davy

well apparently the front studs are much shorter then the rear studs and apparently the rear studs arent long enough either, so I dont really have much of an option besides replacing the studs. Im going to take it to a wheel shop and see what they can do.

If what DavyZ is saying is true and you're looking at having someone replace your studs for you...you may be cheaper off to buy Modern-Motorsports adapters.

I would email Ross Corrigan at Modern-Motorsports first and tell him about what's going on. Measure your studs (they're probably stock!) since there is NO reason I can think of for someone to install shorter than stock studs. I speak from experience that the stock S30 studs appear abysmally short, however they work just fine with most wheels. The ZX studs are probably just as short. Both should work with the MML adapters.

Davy

first off, the 280zx studs are going to be short becuz most of them came with aluminum wheels that required long shank lug nuts that dont damage the rims. you are going to have to take the hub on the front off and knock out the studs and get longer ones. as for the rears you have to take the rotor off and knock out the studs and replace with longer ones also. this is gonna cost you about $2-$5 a stud. i know this b/c i had the same problem and resolved it. dont blow a gasket as it will be worth it in the end. and you should be able to get it at any autoparts store, make sure you have one of your original studs with you.
Hes having the same problem I am, I talked to the people at techno toy tuning and they said it should just bolt right on but the lugnuts dont get enough thread on the adapter. are the MMS adapters any different? anyone with any experience on this?

Hes having the same problem I am, I talked to the people at techno toy tuning and they said it should just bolt right on but the lugnuts dont get enough thread on the adapter. are the MMS adapters any different? anyone with any experience on this?

NAPA Machine shops will change the studs out for alot cheaper then buying MM hubs. I believe you want Nissan Quest studs (atleast for the S30 you do). They are longer. Auxilary wrote a post about it a while ago.