HybridZ

Reciprocating Ball to Rack and Pinion Swap

I've done some searching and so far haven't received anything difinitive. I have a 1983ZX parts car with power rack and pinion. My 81ZX daily driver has power reciprocating ball steering. I'd like to swap it over, but I'm little concerned about time and what parts I'll have to swap. Is this an 8AM start finish right before dark job or a full out Friday evening through Sunday job?

My current steering is loose and worn out and needs new bushings. I figure if I'm going to replace the bushings it might be easier to pull the rack from the parts car, do the replacements I can on there then do the rest when I swap it out. I've also read the rack and pinion is more responsive and tracks better on the road. Give me some recomendations, advice and anything else you feel like throwing at me. Who else has done this swap and was it worth it?

It's been a few years since I did this, but it's a good weekend long job. You will need to swap out the front suspension crossmember and this requires supporting the engine with a cherry picker. I also recall having to change the steering column as the diameter of the splined shaft to the rack is different but we were going from the power re-circulating ball box to a manual rack-and-pinion.

recirculating ball, i think is what you're looking for :) I don't want my steering to reciprocate anything :)

lol....Ummm yeah...Oops...And here I am always checking my spelling and grammar...As a matter fact search google for reciprocating ball steerin and it actually comes up with A LOT of results all intended for recirculating ball. Good call, I didn't catch that.