HybridZ

Gasless MIG Welder

Noddle

The gasless MIGs will work on body panels if you know what you are doing and take your time.

Trouble is, if you are new to welding you will spend the majority of your time wondering whether your crappy welds are because of you or your cheap machine. That and inhaling all the flux core smoke will make you want to give up in short order.

I say spend the extra $$ to get a gas kit. Save the flux core for welding outside where wind makes a sheilding gas unusable.

I just got outbid on a hobart 187. You can buy them new at cyberweld for $630 to ur door (free shipping). A mm175 new from the store here would be $840 out the door. So i think I'm gonna get a hobart 180/187, full gas cylinder, helmet and gloves, and wire for even cheaper.

thanks, but you gotta add up some things and that one will end up being $450 to ur door, because it doesn't come with a regulator or hose, plus shipping is $50. I think i found the one i'm gonna get. It's a Hobart 180 on ebay for $469 +$30 shipping. My local store is a big miller/hobart place so i think they'll help me more if i have a hobart, lol.

• 4 weeks later...

you can use a mig welder without gas but you need flux core wire. thats what i used on my linclon 175 until i got my miller 251. the difference is that in mig welding the IM (inert gas) is a sheilding gas and in flux core you dont use gas so there is no sheilding gas, so the flux core wire has flux in the middle of the wire the acts as a sheilding gas. in the begining it was hard to use the flux core wire on my 175 but after alittle practice I could use it like any other mig welder with gas. the welds dont look as good and is spits alot but they are definatley strong. the whole front frame rails of my truck are welded in using flux core welding. just my 2 cents.

I've used both. I bought a cheap dual MIG from harbor freight that came with the flux core wire and use it for a while like that. Then I discovered gas and I will never look back. You get better penetration, cleaner pool, cleaner end product and it's much easier to work with.