HybridZ

Which Sanding tool?

xxjoeyxxeb

Hey guys,

I've been saving up some money to buy tools to get started on my bodywork, but I am trying to figure out which type of sanders to buy.

I have limited budget, and here are two types I'm looking at. I've seen both used on TV shows and stuff, but the soft colored ones seem so expensive, is it ok to get the black kit?

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=1703&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=516&iSubCat=517&iProductID=1703

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=16399&itemType=PRODUCT&iProductID=16399

Thanks for any help, I'll keep searching too

Guest TeamNissan
Happy Holidays Joey!

Both sets of blocks are great to have and the colored ones can be purchased separately. I would highly suggest that you save up and acquire both sets because that would give you a fantastic arsenal of sanding blocks.

I have the black set of blocks and I'm having a difficult time retrieving the colored blocks from someone I thought I knew well enough - but isn't wanting to return them to me - yet!!! These blocks are that good in my opinion!

I've also made my own "flexi-sticks".

Hope this helps!

Ernie/RacerX

I think its a waste to buy blocks imo unless your going to use them professionaly. Pieces of wood with velcro tape and velcro sand paper are almost free lol. Plus you can make any intriquicate shape and size peice you need. Dont pay 100+ then have them sitting in your garage after your done, ESP if you need to save to get them.

No apology needed. It didn't sound directing to me at all, I asked which I should get, and I got the answer I was looking for. I'm saving my money for an arsenal of tools for my life. Any suggestion from you, and many others on the board, is taken very seriously and thankfully.

Guest TeamNissan
TeamNissan,

You have a valid point but from another perspective there are some people that are not able to make their own blocks - for many different reasons - from my experience. For some people, it's quite simple to make their own sanding block - for others it could require too much time to locate and acquire the material, then have to modify the piece for a specified purpose; even then it requires more tools to modify the piece of wood or whatever the material of choice is.

An alternative to having purchased a set of sanding blocks could be - When a person is done with the blocks they can always sell them to someone else and recoup some of their investment money.

Just a note - I stated in my post that I "suggested" - never wanting to "tell/demand" someone what to do. Thanks for indirectly pointing that out - I need to be more sensitive to what I post - so as not to perceived as a directive!

So, joey - my apologies!!! I retract my statement "suggesting" that you save up to purchase these items. You obviously will make your decision from extrapolating and juxtaposing your acquired information. If it came across as a "directive" it wasn't meant to be comprehended that way - again - my apologies!!

Ernie/RacerX

I wasnt contradicting you or even downing what you said. Sometimes it is just easier to buy them and be done with it. It was just my .02 not really a argument :-). I mean you dont really need blocks at all lol, just the right grit a hand and a good eye. Its a matter of preference in the end imo.

I wasnt contradicting you or even downing what you said. Sometimes it is just easier to buy them and be done with it. It was just my .02 not really a argument :-). I mean you dont really need blocks at all lol, just the right grit a hand and a good eye. Its a matter of preference in the end imo.

hands have fingers. blocks do not. there's no argument about that. you are jeopardizing the quality of your body work, no matter how good your eye is. I've had a bad eye since I was 2 years old, and I've learned to have better hand-eye coordination and depth perception (on the left side of my body, at least) than almost anyone I know. And even then, I will still not go on my hand alone for something such as panel sanding. blocks all the way. doesnt matter what kind of block, just any block, and nice diagonal strokes, or cross hatches. IMHO it's worth the time prepping it, than fixing it.

Guest TeamNissan
hands have fingers. blocks do not. there's no argument about that. you are jeopardizing the quality of your body work, no matter how good your eye is. I've had a bad eye since I was 2 years old, and I've learned to have better hand-eye coordination and depth perception (on the left side of my body, at least) than almost anyone I know. And even then, I will still not go on my hand alone for something such as panel sanding. blocks all the way. doesnt matter what kind of block, just any block, and nice diagonal strokes, or cross hatches. IMHO it's worth the time prepping it, than fixing it.

Yes def. I personaly think a monkey can spray, I mean you can sand and buff every coat, really dont matter. The prep though, the prep is where a great paint job comes from lol.

I've used the solid blocks/boards for years. And I have quite a collection of various sizes of pvc pipe, paint rollers, pipe insulation and several other various "objects" I use for shaping and contouring. I would say definately buy the colored ones but you can use everything from kitchen sponges to nerf balls for sanding blocks when you need anything other than a straight flat surface... But I'm thrifty LOL!!! CHEAP like that....

Guest TeamNissan
I've used the solid blocks/boards for years. And I have quite a collection of various sizes of pvc pipe, paint rollers, pipe insulation and several other various "objects" I use for shaping and contouring. I would say definately buy the colored ones but you can use everything from kitchen sponges to nerf balls for sanding blocks when you need anything other than a straight flat surface... But I'm thrifty LOL!!! CHEAP like that....

When it comes to paint old school is the best school.

• Like 1