HybridZ

Should I buy a '76 Stingray for $4,000?

280zwitha383

Through some friends I have found a '76 Stingray that is in fair condition. The interior is GONE, but the panels are all straight and with a couple 10 hours of work could be ready for paint. It has been sitting for a while (a year I would guess by the inspection and registration) and has (supposedly) matching numbers 350/350. I don't know if that really adds any worth to the car but the guy says it runs fair and shifts well. These aren't easy to find around here and me and the wife are both interested. He WILL NOT negotiate on the price. I have asked twice. Anyhow, he doesn't have it listed and I've known about it for about a month. I am very aware however that it could be gone tomorrow very easily. Any input would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, he is also selling a 71(?) Charger for $2500! It has the 318 and is an automatic. Excellent interior and exterior except for the passenger side door which has been hit pretty hard. It also kind of bowed the rear side window out a little (maybe, that's what he said but I couldn't really tell if it was just the door or not). He says it runs well (which I believe because his soon was trying to start it for us the last time I was out there about a month ago), but also has been sitting for a while.

Should I get both? If I do, I would sell the charger probably because even though I think it looks MEAN!, the Stingray is my main priority.

the "rubber bumper" corvettes (no chrome bumpers) arent bringing good money unless they are really nice. I just watched a daily driver sell in my neighboorhood lasy week for $3800 with decent paint and recovered seats. It had plain rally wheels and was original otherwise but could use a little of everything. Interior and weatherstripping is expensive to replace on Vettes so I'd say it is top dollar at 4k and I wouldnt pay it... but thats just my opinion... watch out for rusty frame areas and stress cracks in the fiberglass as well. Alot of Vettes around here in NC coastal areas are flood recoveries and it isn't as obvious because you don't see the rot unless you check the frame. Mid 70's were know for some electrical bugs too if I recall...

Their resale isn't great unless they are in cherry and original condition. And be advised, these cars don't do anything great. Parts are still relatively easy to come by though, and they still have a timeless line to the body.

Mike

I used to own one of these cars. It was fun, but underpowered, heavy, and didnt handle all that great. It was mostly original with clean interior (although it did need carpet). Save up your pennies and try for an earlier stingray with the chrome bumpers, they hold their value better.

-Cam