HybridZ

!985 300ZX turbo automatic problems

Dmartin_1

Hi I have a 1985 300zx turbo that went south.(pooped out) i bought the car this way.It doesn't do anything in any gear just like I didn't do anything.

Is there somthing I need to check for before I pull it out?

the fluid don't look or smell burnt.

Now what other nissan transmission at my frindly salvage yard will inter change with a 1985zx turbo ?

Thanks Danny

Any good salvage yard has all the interchange info you'll need... Sounds like the front pump is gone or perhaps the valve body is stuck but usually if this is the case it will pull in some direction... You can take the time to drop the pan and make sure the filter is in place properly and see if you have metallic dust and shavings in the pan. Make sure your linkage is moving when the shifter is moved also. Just know that in most cases, when a tranny doesnt do as it should, a rebuild or replace is in order as you'll seldom get away with something simple but it never hurts to check unless your having to pay others to do it.....

In the even't you need a tranny consider pricing a rebuild with several shops before you go used... Most yards dont have much of a replacement policy and often will tell you no money back but they will "find" you another tranny...well needless to say used ones from 20 yrs ago arent going to be plentiful or low milage units. So they can make you wait indefinately while your out of the money and your ride!! Even if it means delaying the repair ( if you can spare the car) get it rebuilt.

Just a silly thought... um, maybe the shifter cable is broke inside the sheeth, or the linkage has poped off the tranny? Not trying to be rude.. but hey, I like to check the simple stuff first! :-) As for interchange, I believe Nissan used that same auto (or something similar enough) in the maximas and the V6 hardbody pickups, right up to 94. I had an N/A 93 pickup with the lateer MPFI V6/auto and it was a tough tranny.. I abused it pretty bad, but it held together.. I'd imagine it would hold up to your turbo..

The L4N71B auto transmission also came on the Mitsubishi Starion. You'll need to keep the bell housing and flex plate from the ZX tranny. Keep the torque converter as well if it is in good shape because the Starion may have a different stall speed.

Another other option might be to rebuild a L4N71B from an 82-84 Maxima or mid 1980's 200SX with a "turbo" rebuild kit. I want to do this rebuild/upgrade but am not sure if it is just as easy as ordering the correct rebuild kit. I've got a service manual for the 4N71B and haven't figured out whether if the clutch packs are the only difference between the standard and the turbo versions of the transmission.

Also, try a search on this site for "4N71B or L4N71B" without quotes for more info on your tranny.

I hope that helps.

I believe the Pathfinder also came with that auto trans at some point.

consider swapping to a manual transmission. I found a used n/a 5-speed with 60k for $50 about 2 yeard ago. Everything else you need can be found in salvage yards for cheap

for reference...

*all Z31 n/a's came with the same manual transmission, same as the S13, different bellhousing though

*84-86 turbo came with a Borg Warner T-5

*87-89 turbos...internals almost identical to Z32, considered strongest option.

thats what wrong with mine it striped the splines out of the torq converter. The fluid is clean and not burnt but the car acts like it don.t even have a trans. in it.Two much hot rodding I guess,wonder How many trans. shops has charged you for a rebuild when it was just a torq converter. Danny