HybridZ

I need initial alignment setting for a 406RWHP 240Z w/ 245/40/17 tires.

I need initial alignment setting for a 406RWHP 240Z w/

Tires (F and R)

245/40/17 Kumho Esta 710 tires (R-DOT Compound)

Rims

17x 9

Springs

200F 225R

Front Camber plates+ MM Rear A-arms+ Illumas+ Cage+Coilovers

I have been reading posts (searching) that are recommending 3 deg Front and 2.5 deg Rear, but with my tires I feel this is too much as because of the 17's and the ultra stiff side wall.

Since I will drive this car to events I want a small amount of Front toe in to make the car stable. As for the rear I am not sure.

I need to know>

Front camber

Rear camber

Front Toe

Rear Toe

Front Caster (as If the GC plates allowed any...)

Any ride height recommendations

This is my base line alignment that will hopefully be a comprimise (I know I know) for Street, Track and Drag.

Thanks

For road course/open track/HPDE events, the 3 deg F 2.5 deg rear is a good starting point. You may want to fine tune it a little but that's pretty close. Don't worry about that being too much for the V710's, they will love it. I run 1/8" toe in on the rear and 1/8" toe out on the front. The toe out on the F makes the car turn in better, but it can make it a little twitchy on the straights, not everyone likes that. Toe in on the rear helps the car put the power down on exit.

I can't comment on street/drag use.

John

cyrus: the camber settings you mentioned, 3 degrees front and 2.5 degrees rear are for road racing and autocross. If you run that much camber on the street, you will go through tires pretty quick. Your car sounds pretty full boogey and if all the street driving you intend to do is just to get it to events, no big deal. But if you're going to drive it on the street you may want to set it up with the tires sitting closer to 0 degrees and maybe mark your camber plates and adjust it when you get to an event.

I ran -2 degrees (F) and -1.25 degrees camber ® for my dual purpose car. I didn't have any irregular tire wear and it was a total multi-purpose car. The one thing I'd see is getting rid of all camber in the rear for drag racing. For street/autocross/track, you will be good with those settings. Just my experience.

Nope, not the case at all... I commuted in my 99 Corvette. Those commutes led straight up Interstate 95 for about 35 miles, and I did it five days per week. When I took off the front tires at 22K miles, they showed even wear across the tread pattern. Current hi performance tire technology allows to run more aggressive settings. The key is to not go overboard and not get way out of spec on your toe settings.

I spoke with a couple different manufacturer tire techs at SEMA and they're all shooting for better performance and longer tire wear in their highest performance product lineup.

When looking at a tire, I really like going to tirerack.com and reviewing the tech specs on a tire. It helps to understand the UTQG rating as well as the other "numbers" for the tire. If you don't understand any of the technical data associated with a tire, they have a decent FAQ that helps you better understand what all the info means... The lower the UTQG number, the more sticky the tire, and the less mileage you'll get out of the tire. That's very important when choosing your performance tire and suspension settings.

Mike

Something no one is hitting on it the rim dia. For Rx-7 the camber specs are;

16" Rims 1.5 deg

17" Rims 0.9 deg

18" Rims 0.6 deg

For me 3 degrees sound ridiculous for 17's and just fine for 15's I think rim dia is the most important qualifier here.