HybridZ

Someone welded on my fender

The Woj

Atleast, it seems welded. If it isn't a weld, it is definately fused together strongly. My question is this: how do I get it off?

Here's a picture of the general area, it's the passenger side headlight bucket on the grill side:

fenderzojq5.th.jpg

Here's a closeup of the weld:

fenderzifg8.th.jpg

I was banging at it with a Phillips head and a hammer, wasn't working very well though.

I was thinking of taking my air-hammer to it with a long, flat bit - or maybe see if I can get a saw in there.

Unfortunately, I do not have a welder.

Any comments or ideas?

I was banging at it with a Phillips head and a hammer, wasn't working very well though.

Leave the screwdriver and hammer alone and find yourself a big rock! :ugg:

A grinder would be your best bet, your air hammer is just going to beat the crap out of everything.

I agree get a cutoff wheel . when i bought my 78 280z some jerk welded the passanger side fender to the outer skin of the rocker pannel what fun that was when i tried to remove the fender . Seems the bolt holes in that aera were welded shut also go figure .

Some people just werent meant to repair cars .

Yup, same here!!! I had similar issues on one headlight bucket too.. looks like braze to me..

Too late, I bought a Harbor Freight 3" air cutter, and cut away at the bucket until it seperated from the fender. Whatever they used to attach the two did not get too far under the metal, so I didn't have to cut away too much.

All of the metal is still good on the car - I won't be replacing the fenders. Worst rust I've found so far is some large patches of surface rust inside the cowl and some big bubbles in the cargo area.

Here's some pic's of the destruction I hath wrought. The second pic is looking downwards.

dsc00554qk7.th.jpgdsc00550of4.th.jpg

I only later decided to take off the hinges, so I didn't have much room to work with - thus, I accidently cut into a portion of it I didn't have to. But hey, with the fenders off it now looks like a real long-term project :icon47:

dsc00588yg5.th.jpgdsc00578lf7.th.jpg