HybridZ

Carbon Fiber Hood?

RedFive

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, I just bought a CF hood from RACEONUSA, and the hood wasn't completely finished for bolting on. The front edge side surface was not smoothened out, and the bottom FRP frame did not have holes cut out like in their advertised pictures( for moisture purposes?). I called them up to tell them, and the guy there told me that "it's nothing, your going crazy over something so minor. Just get some sand paper and sand it down."

Well, if you buy something for $339+160 ship+ $40 tax= $540 you'd expect the product to be completely finished ready to be put on.

Then the idiot told me to ship it back and pay shipping, so that they can send me another %$#' ed up one. DON"T BUY FROM RACEONUSA. I should have paid attention to their other feedback about the crappy service and other %!*' ed up hoods.

Well, if you buy something for $339+160 ship+ $40 tax= $540 you'd expect the product to be completely finished ready to be put on.

That's an unrealistic expectation for composite body parts. Any part from any vendor will require some fitting to our 30+ year old cars. The 240Z carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods I sell can have the inner frame bonded to the hood, but the customer (or the customer's fabricator) will need to make the hinge plates, drill the hood frame, and bolt the brackets to the hood.

There's no such thing as bolt on in the automotive aftermarket world and anyone who tells you otherwise is a salesman.

I have to agree with John. I also sell fiberglass hoods for the 240Z to 280Z and they are going to require some adjustment to get the fit the way you like it. IMO, if that is all that is wrong with the hood for that price you got a good deal. I'd be more pissed at the shipping cost. I can get mine across the country for $100.

I have to agree with John. I also sell fiberglass hoods for the 240Z to 280Z and they are going to require some adjustment to get the fit the way you like it. IMO, if that is all that is wrong with the hood for that price you got a good deal. I'd be more pissed at the shipping cost. I can get mine across the country for $100.

Are they stock style or cowl hoods?

That's an unrealistic expectation for composite body parts. Any part from any vendor will require some fitting to our 30+ year old cars. The 240Z carbon fiber and fiberglass hoods I sell can have the inner frame bonded to the hood, but the customer (or the customer's fabricator) will need to make the hinge plates, drill the hood frame, and bolt the brackets to the hood.

There's no such thing as bolt on in the automotive aftermarket world and anyone who tells you otherwise is a salesman.

I understand that I have to make my own hinges to bolt the hood on, but the carbonfiber isn't straight on the right front edge. There's even some carbonfiber exposed on the front tip center corner. Moral of the story, I should have purchased my hood from betamotorsports. That's what i get for being cheap. If any of you are interested in a picture of the carbon fiber pattern not being straight on the front right corner, let me know and i'll post up a picture of it.