HybridZ

280ZX v8 swap.. making room for drivers side header

I have read about how the gearbox for the steering on zx's gets in the way and prevents the use of a header on the driver's side head. I would like to use some shorty headers at least on my motor, so what are the options as far as steering goes to let me use off the shelf shorty?

I have read about people swapping mustang, subaru, and miata racks in the Z's, but the ZX has the rack on the rear of the xmember vs. the front like the Z. I'm not worried about having a manual rack because I plan on using power steering... I just don't want to have to use manifolds because the damn gearbox is in the way.

1982 & 83 have power rack type steering (no gear box on the frame), you could find one at a junk yard and swap it into your ZX, then use headers from JTR for the ZX, off the self headers may still have a problem with the drivers side and the steering shaft to the rack. Or, keep your gear box steering and have a modified header made, no magic fix with this problem.

What are the differences in steering with these two set-ups? Is one harder than the other? Or are they just mechanically different, but do the same job? In San Diego they have a good selection of junkyards, and it would be no problem finding one down here for my '79.

EDIT: Defrag didn't say what he was using, I'm putting in a LT1, if that makes a difference also(vise pre '92 engine).

Yup, JTR is the one who makes a header for the V8 conversion and like Paz8 said its for the 82-83' power rack set up. I too had to build a header for the drivers side. I just used a regular block hugger on the passenger side though.

Guy

I think every type of off the self header has been tried, if you can't have custom made headers, try an exhaust manifold off of a Chevy Capric, or mid 80's Camaro, it points striaght down between cyl. 5 and 7 and may clear your steering box.

The 82' or 83' rack will bolt right up to your crossmember, why do you want to make things hard on yourself ? You use the Chevy PS pump and adapt the high pressure line to the steering rack, end of work, you have power steering. If you use a different rack, the rear mounted steering rack needs to be about even with the top of the crossmember or the engine oil pan will rest on it. Even with a mild SBC V8 in the zx will move fast, I wouldn't want to worry about a "homemade" steering system at about 100MPH.

The 82&83 rack will not bolt to his crossmember. If he has a big gear box on the frame rail then he got the recirculating steering system. These got different crossmember. So is the manual rack. The manual rack can only be bolt the its mating Xmember. So in order to swap rack you have to swap the crossmember also.

I have the power steering rack and crossmember sitting in my garage. It's a lot easier to swap them in if you don't have the motor in the car. Let me know if you are interest. If JTR already sell the headers for this set up then there is no need to re-invent the wheel. Just swap in the power rack and you will be done. Save your time for other important stuffs.

Vinh

I haven't found any zx in the junkyards here that don't have the gearbox type like I do, otherwise I would just get one. I would rather get a known good rack and fit it in than spend forever searching for one or buy one blind and have to use a whole new crossmember. It's not hard to make mounts, thread the ends, fit the shaft on, and adapt lines from the chevy pump.. especially when I work at a machine shop and can do any kind of fab work needed. Its ironic that steering is mentioned as being home made when we're putting v8's, q45 rearends, s13 suepension, etc all in these cars!

I'm still going to do it, I just initially wanted opinions on whether or not there any options with the stock gearbox setup. Putting a new rack in isn't anything major like making my car a convertible or something.. its not hard, and just because something isn't 100% bolt in doesn't mean it isn't going to be reliable. Anyone who thinks otherwise shouldn't be swapping v8's and q45 rearends into their cars. Welcome to hotrods.

Since the subaru rack into a Z has been "proven", then what's the big deal about making a dsm rack work in a zx?

I'm not about to get into a pissing contest here, your right, nothing wrong with your idea, but I am intitled to my opinion even if you don't agree. Welcome to hot rodding, I've been swapping engines and building street rods since the 1960's. In your post #13 you said you can fab anything, why not build a set of headers for your car??

I already have a set of S10 swap headers that I would like to fit. Plus, my steering now has about 1/2 turn of play each way, and it replacing it not only fixes the steering problem but might fix the header problem. If it doesn't fix the header problem, then modding the header to fit will be no biggie. I put modding/making headers as the last option because I work 8-5 and go to evening classes from 5:30 to 8:50 and the only free time I have is on the weekends. I do most of my stuff at work in my free time because I don't keep many tools and machines at home (they are all at work), and making a new set of headers would not only take forever like this but the boss wouldn't be happy. He wouldn't mind if I brought a header in and modded it, but making new ones would be wasting alot of work time.