HybridZ

383 starter to flexplate engagement issue

While trying to start my engine for the first time, The starter wasn't engaging properly. It would crank over for a second or so, and then make this horrible sound, like a starter makes when you try to crank an engine that's already running. What was happening is the starter was partially engaged with the flywheel, and then would pop out and the teeth of the starter were grinding against the teeth on the flex plate. Sometimes it wouldn't engage at all and start griding immediadtly. I tried various amounts of shims, but nothing seemed to help.

While under the car, I pulled the gear out as far as it would go on the starter and it doesn't seem like the bendix pushes out far enough. Anyone else heard of this? Is it possible that my flexplate is on backwards?

BTW using a 168 tooth external balance flexplate and a Summit Racing Protorque gear reduction starter.

my starter only engages about 3/8 of an inch but it is enough to turn the flexplate fine.

I would double check your gear engagement. I used a screwdriver to pull it out and shimmed the starter accordingly to get the correct depth of gear engagement. It's about a paper clip width of of clearance with with starter gear tooth into the flexplate (actual spec may be a little different for your starter), but a paper clip is handy.

I bought a summit protorque starter for my LS2 and noticed the same. The bendix can only push the starter gear out far enough to put the end of the gear about half way into the flywheel teeth. I have yet to power up the starter, so I don't know if this will cause a problem. But if you are having problems, then it is increasing my worry that I will too.

Shims will not fix this problem because they move the starter centerline away from the crank centerline. In this case it looks like the starter needs to be moved farther backwards. Witht he LS starter, the aluminum block they put the mounting bolts through is moved forward about 1/8th of an inch from the back of the block. In my case it looks like that 1/8 inch offset would make all the difference in the gear engagement.

Maybe we both need to give Summit a call.

Plus for the LS engines the electrical lugs are on the back side of the starter next to the engine. This looks like a major PITA since I will most likely have to drop the starter to gain access.

Have you checked the flywheel for cracked teeth? I had a similar problem a couple years ago, caused by a bad spot on the flexplate. One tooth was broken about halfway down the length of the tooth. It wasn't much, but it was enough to cause the bendix to slip. The engine would turn over fine, until it got to that tooth, then it would make a grinding sound. It progressively got worse, to the point where it would not engage at all on that part of the flexplate.

You know what, after looking at the problem, and taking into account the information in this thread, I have come to two conclusions.

1: I am an idiot: The flex plate is backwards!

2: Even so, the Protorque still doesn't seem like it'll get the job done, given the short throw of the bendix.

I REALLY don't want to take the transmission out again, that'd make 4 times, and the eneinge has never run. There's something wrong with that picture. Does anyone know if you can loosen the trans to engine bolts (without totally removing them), slide the TC back and get to the flex plate bolts, drop it down, flip it around and put it back up....without ever bringing the entire tanny down?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Forces,

Did you ever get your starter problem fixed? If so, are you pleased with your starter? I've never used a Nippendenso style starter, but am considering getting the exact one you have. Your last post sounded as if you didn't think it was going to work very well.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah, Once I flipped the flexplate around, it worked okay. Not the best though. I don't think I'd recommend it to anyone if you have the money to get something better. It still has it's moments that the teeth won't line up. I'd say it engages just fine about 90% of the time.