HybridZ

learn to wire automotive

I was wondering if anyone knows any sites that show how to wire automobiles. I wire industrial air conditioners and know how to read wiring diagrams etc, and i have a good understanding of what parts do, i just cant seem to figure out how to do it from scratch. like... i dont know where to begin. do i keep all the wires from the ignition switch? that sort of thing.. if there are no sites i guess i'll buy a book. any good books out there that someone can suggest?

This is question that could lead to many other questions. Why would you want to start from scrach? Starting from scratch do you mean to redo the whole entire car? Normally you want to rewire one function at a time not the whole car unless your car had a fire. For example you want to rewiring the headlight system. You will need to know how the head light switch work first. Then figure out what wire you need to go where. What relays, fuses you need etc.

I started with paper and pencil listing what I needed wiring for.

I got a piece of .045"X6"x18" aluminum and attached a bunch of fuse blocks to it and laid out my relays and a main power terminal that I had to isolate from the aluminum panel. The stock harness with all fuses and connectors weighs about 30 pounds!!! I am at least cutting that in HALF!

I first did all the wiring for the panel and made it removable so that you can undo like 4 connectors and some bolts and it comes out. It all bolts to factory dash mounting holes.

some pics:

You can see the autozone fuse blocks along the top and the labled relays on the botom. That box way back there is a delay circuit that my Dad made to keep the electric fan running after you turn the car off. This is before everything was neatened up. If you want to spend the mega bucks you can get different color wires...I'm just going to label mine.

m47863539.jpg

This was before I blew up my stock ignition box and got the MSD replacement...

m41579881.jpg

It also makes it easy to wire the car if you have a custom dash like the one I made.

m40657684.jpg

This also gets your wires out of your passenger's foot area and makes your car look better by not having wires showing...

I also relocated my ignition box to the engine bay so that I don't have to run even more wire...for...umm...weight savings.

m47864774.jpg

I am not finished yet...

Still have to run wires for:

electric fuel pump

all rear lights

radio? it's not much of a street car so maybe not...

turn signals(hmm...I need a new switch)

permanent switch panel (I have a dinky little temporary one made from a piece of scrap aluminum)

provisions for aftermarket EFI when I convert from carbs

also electronics for the

smoke screen generator

oil slick

tire poppers

propellor

skis

tank tracks

Well, my 240z po installed the entire harness in to the frame rails. :nono: which worked great :confused2 (I guess) untill he let the rails rust out :shifty: which in turn started a fire and finished the rest of the harness off:icon8: . I started at the tail lights and worked forward using aircraft relays and stereo fuse blocks IN THE CAR so I will never have that problem again. If you do commercial HVAC&R do like OTM did and draw it out. and do not forget the fuel pump or the tag light:cool: .

i've tried to draw it out... and OTM i did that same fuseblock replacement in mine... some stuff in the car didnt work right until i wired those new fuseblocks in.. lol stuff would flicker off and on. i guess im just a perfectionist thats why i want to rewire the car.. i dont like the idea of having all those wires with power to them... but they arent connected to anything.. and im afraid to go cutting wire that i dont know where they go... i dont plan on cutting all the wires out the car and starting over... just mainly i want to start from the fuseblock (want to get a different one.. the autozone ones had cheapy type connectors) and run wiring OUTSIDE of the car. in individual harnesses etc... what all circuits would i need? typically 12-18 i know, but do i need seperate circuits for left HeadLight and right HL... etc. also when do you know you need relays? at work engineers put all our parts into production orders and have it drawn out on wiring diagrams so its not like i design my own electrical boxes ya know.... but i understand them. sorry im ranting on and on... anyway point being... if im going to do it outside of the car so i can swap it all at once.. where do i begin?

You are best off to purchase a pre assembled kit such as Painless wiring kits. http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=PRF%2D10102&N=700+400012+301196+115&autoview=skuI was an avionics tech in the Marine Corps on F18's. I have been doing wiring on planes and cars for many years. Unless you understand the amperage of the items your trying to power up you could start a fire. The pre made kits are labled and safe. You will save you alot of time vs making a kit from scratch. They are availible for a couple hundred dollars or less. Look in Hot Rod or kit Car mags for them.

i know about the painless kits.. but the prices are PAINFUL! i have wire and terminals etc already... i guess ill just get a wiring diagram for like an 83 camaro... and use my zx wiring diagram to copy what parts i need. now just have to locate a fuseblock that i like...

My arrangement for the 280ZX rewire is something like Olderthanme's, most of the relays, fuses and circuit breakers are mounted on a removeable panel.

Started the rewire process with the ZX service manual, wrote down all the electrical items that were to be serviced then arranged them in suitable groups. Such groups were arranged according to power source and compatibility.

For example, from the battery + power goes to a circuit breaker then to three separate relays for the power windows, horns, and, stop and hazard lights. From the light switch power goes through a circuit breaker to one relay for headlight high beams, another relay for low beams. And so on, note I'm using circuit breakers instead of fuseible links.

I found it hard to get my head around at the start, some guidance from an auto electrician helped a lot.