HybridZ

What 15" wheels clear 12.2" Arizona Z brakes?

I'm looking at running the arizona Z car and I'm wonder what 15" wheel options are available that clear these brakes. I'm looking for a set of street wheels that are 15"X8" wheels for the street and a set of 15"X10" wheels for the track. I'm going to run coilovers so backspacing needs to be around 5".

Regards,

Justin

Draglites won't without a spacer.

For my track wheels, I have a 1" spacer on the front, and run an old 16" HRE on the rear. The problem wasn't the diameter of the wheel, there just isn't any space for the caliper to sit, as the rear face of the wheel is flush and the caliper protrudes slightly past the rotor..

I have Weld Pro Star Wheels for my drag setup.

A 10X15, 5.5" backspace will fit the rear - you will need pretty big flares to cover...

My fronts are 6X15, 3.5" backspace. The key in the front is to find a wheel with very thin rims (large insde diameter) to clear the front calipers. Before I bought wheels I got the spec for the inside diameter to make sure.

My tires are M/T 325/50-15 DR Rear, Hoosier Street Rod 28X6 front.

I have Ground Control coilovers and the AZC 5-lug setup front and rear.

I don't think the diameter is what's gonna cause fitment issues as much as the depth of the caliper intruding into the back of the wheel. I'd guess that the overall diameter is probably about 13-13.5 inches. Those wilwood calipers dont' have a lot of overhang off the back of the rotor. I had that setup on the front of my white Z back in 2000-2001 and it cleared every rim I threw at it, but needed a wheel spacer with most to clear the depth of the caliper. That said, a lot of the newer wheels coming out are designed to clear these larger brembo brake options... The TSW I just bought clears most brake setups... Shop till you drop!

Mike

• 2 months later...

So I've been looking a bit more. It would appear that the standard 4 lug arizona Z car brakes will have trouble clearing the caliper on most 15" wheels.

If I go to a 5 lug setup with a z31 hub, the wheel is pushed out away from the caliper 3/4". This should give me enough room to run whatever 15" wheel I want and still clear the caliper.

Here is the e-mail response I recieved back from http://www.autobrakeworks.com/datsun.htm

"

Hi Justin,

Photos attached.

We have changed and improved a few things on the hat. Hats are made smaller and also have taps inserted into the aluminum which is then strengthen with helicoil inserts. So there is no need for nuts to hold on the rotor. Just the bolt.

Another thing.. The caliper you will receive are Wilwood's latest forged Superlites. The one shown are their old Superlite 2a which they don't make anymore.

I can accept paypal,credit card, or money order

Juan Henriquez

910 19th St. #2

Watervliet NY 12189

Paypal or credit card can be done through my website checkout.

Thanks for your interest.

"

Picture_1073.jpg

Picture_1067.jpg

Picture_1076.jpg

My zero offset, 4 lug, 15x7 Panasports clear Dave's kit. The front calipers are placed inboard further than the rears and have plenty of room. The rear calipers need to be "clearanced"; the top outer corner needs to be ground down, but nothing real bad.

I purchased a set of the http://www.autobrakeworks.com/datsun.htm for the 4 lug 260z/280z hub setup from Juan just recently. And last night did a trail install (I have not got the rotors yet) of the calipers that I have to check measurements. I went for the US Brake F88i calipers and the overhange of these calipers to the hub is only 10mm. Not sure how this compares to the Wilwoods but I was told by Juan the Wilwoods overhange by 0.75" = 19.05mm so I was thinking I would need to run a 5-7mm spacer for the RS Watanabes rims (which are 16" sorry I can't help with the 15" question) but I will not have to with the US Brake Calipers as these are not as thick as the Wilwoods.

What I can tell you is that using these US Brake F88i calipers (which are almost the same as the Wilwood Superlites in spec just not as thick of overhange and I will be running the 1.25" rotors) the total radius required is 170mm = 340mm diameter = 13.4"

With the Aussie dollar at a ten year high against the Greenback now is the time to start importing some bits, unfortunately, you have thrown up even more doubts about what exactly to buy. The overhang on the US Brake F88i make them a possible option but can anyone tell me if they have dust seals or not. The lack of dust seals is my concern with the Willwoods.

With the Aussie dollar at a ten year high against the Greenback now is the time to start importing some bits, unfortunately, you have thrown up even more doubts about what exactly to buy. The overhang on the US Brake F88i make them a possible option but can anyone tell me if they have dust seals or not. The lack of dust seals is my concern with the Willwoods.

Like many of the race calipers no dust seals sorry - I know that in Australia you have funny rules about a road car must have dust seals etc. But I find this complete BS visit any new motorcycle shop have ask the saleman if the new Honda xyz or Suzuki abc has dust seals and I bet the answer is no (failing that take a look your self) So why is it ok for a motorcycle not to have dust seals on the road but not a car.

EDIT: I am getting my suspension painted in the next few days - once this is complete I could assemble the calipers on the struts (again I don't have rotors) and take some pics of the overhange etc - so it might be a few days to a week away. Re the dust seals - I don't see this as big deal as if the caliper is designed correctly with a good seal then these should work just as well - like a say I have never seen dust seal on a sports motorbike (mind you not looked at too many either) and all the bikes I have had all stop very well.

PS: Sorry for the slight Hi-Jack but it is sort of related to ensure others know of other options for clearances

I'm not sure that it is a requirement of our regs. I was of the impression that the dust seal are more a durability factor than performance or reliability. Does anyone know if I'm correct or not with that assumption.

As I'm building a 250 GTO I will be fitting Dayton wire wheels. They have a good measurement guide which helps you to assess your wheel options.

http://www.daytonwirewheels.com/pdf/dwwmeasurementguide.pdf

NZeder - I would appreciate those pics and the measurement details when you have installed the calipers. Will you be re-drilling the crossmember (bumpsteer modification) while it is off the car, prior to having it painted?

15x7 Panasports clear both the Arizona Z and JSK kits.

It seems like the majority of the time I post something here it gets repeated later in the thread. How many people actually read all the posts?

My zero offset, 4 lug, 15x7 Panasports clear Dave's kit. The front calipers are placed inboard further than the rears and have plenty of room. The rear calipers need to be "clearanced"; the top outer corner needs to be ground down, but nothing real bad.

It seems like the majority of the time I post something here it gets repeated later in the thread. How many people actually read all the posts?

Did you read my post? I was confirming that BOTH, the AZC and JSK kits cleared the Panasports!

Well, my goal is to find a brake setup that will clear Diamond Racing 15"X10" wheels. From what I've read, the AZC brakes wont clear. It looks like the 5 lug JSK will clear based on the picture I've seen. I'm not sure what will clear in the back?

Also, I want to run the same backspacing wheels at all 4 corners. To get away with this, I'm not sure if the Z31 Hubs will allow this being they add 3/4" to the front backspacing.

Justin