HybridZ

L28 with a 240z 4 speed, which clutch kit!

rchrd989

So I have a L28 with that im putting in my 240z, everywhere it says that clutch kits for 240's and for 280s are different, but what are the differences? I know the flywheels are the same with the late 240s and then on, but what is the difference with the clutch kits? So pretty much my question is which clutch kit do I need, one for a 240 or one for a 280, or does it even matter?

thanks. Richard

If you're using the throwout fork from the 240z and 225mm flywheel, then as far as I know you should order the kit for the correct year 240z that you started with. The throwout forks differ from year to year (even between 70-73 240z's) and can pose a problem if you start mismatching parts.

The motor will not determine what clutch you put in unless you're concerned with power output, then you'd just want to run a stronger clutch. The stock 240z clutch will be fine for you're application IMHO.

The throwout fork doesn't matter. The early ones are compatible with the adjustable clutch slave cylinder, the later ones are not, but that won't make a difference as to which clutch and pressure plate you choose. Likewise as you said the flywheels are compatible, and the clutch disk is compatible as well.

What does matter is that the pressure plate must match the throwout bearing collar. This collar goes onto the shift fork, which may be what had JessZ confused.

I think the safest thing to do is order by the year of the collar you're using. If it's the stock one off of your 72 Z for instance, then order a clutch kit for a 72. If you switch to a 5 speed from a ZX at some point, then you would need the throwout bearing collar from the ZX 5 speed, and you would need to get a 82 clutch kit.

If you search this has been dealt with before quite a few times, and http://www.zparts.com has a page on their website which has pictures of all the different throwout bearing collars and their measurements if you're not sure which you have.

Do like I did: Convert everything to the L28 Collar and Pressure Plate.

I use the 240 parts as hand-me-downs to the kid and his L20B 510.

He has a stack of clutches and parts....They seem to last forever in the 510...LOL

It is as Jmortensen says: CLtcuh Cover and Collar must match.

I think this is fairly on topic...

Can someone tell me how I can check my transmission to see if it is a L28 or L26 tranny?

After reading this thread, I have concerns that when a previous owner dropped an L28 motor into the car, they just bolted the old L26 up with the L26 clutch and TOB. The clutch grabs about an inch from the top of the pedal throw. It doesnt slip like crazy, so Im wondering if the alignment of the pressure plate is part of the problem.

Please help :)

Thanks,

Greg.

jon, I just went through this very issue when I replaced an A-series transmission in my 1972 with a 260z 4-speed. My A-series had one collar, the 260z 4-speed had a different collar, and the 280z collar I bought (since Nissan only makes two now - per Courtesy Nissan and MSA) did not match either.

I would do as Tony D suggests. Throwout collars are cheap. Just buy a matched kit for a 280z and be done with it.