HybridZ

compound turbo's vs twin turbo

warrenp

whats better and why compound turbo's or twins??

i realize you could probably compound a set of twins for 4 separate turbo's

i ask because this is the best place for info i know of.

sorry this is not z related.

but this set up would be for a 5.9 I-6 cummins diesel.

every one on the cummins site i go to buy the kits (compound turbos)

i was thinking of cobbling ups a set of twins.

what do you guys think?

sigh... read the link I posted up there...all of it.

you don't use two of the same turbo for a compounded/sequential turbo setup...

no no no........

i don't want compounded set up!!

yes i know what compounded turbo's are.

most dodge diesel guys utilize the stock turbo and add a hx50 and up to a hx60 for home grown compound set up.

see all the diesel guys are using a compound set up.

but why not true twins??

never been done as far as i know..

lol your a funny fella..

i know how compounds work...

i know how twins work.....

i understand compounds are more efficient

as far was low and top end power.

but why not have a set of twins? i guess just to be different.

i don't really have a goal in mind.

i guess lets say you had 2 dodge diesel trucs.

mod for mod they are the same.

but one has compound turbo's and the other had true twins.

i'm betting the one with compound set up would win??

but could the one with twins hold it own? would it still do ok?

or would it just lag behind like it had one single turbo??

The compounded twins is for a longer boost range so you can have quick spool with the smaller turbo and then when the smaller turbo runs out of air the bigger one is spooled and boosting even more. That way you are almost always in boost.

I think what you just described was sequential turbos IE one after the other but in parallel. What I -think- warrenp is interested in is compounded IE one after the other in series.

I have see this used on BIG tractor pull diesels in order to make lots and lots of boost. The 1st turbo effectively precompresses the air for the second one.

compounded and sequential are not the same

Sequential is like on the RX7 where the inlet to each turbo is from atmosphere and the outlet is to a common manifold and then to intercooler then to the engine turbo_system_simplified.jpg

Compounded is where the first turbo compresses to X psi, the outlet of which goes to the inlet of the second turbo, where it further compresses it from X psi to Y psi.

2004.jpg

Sorry for the big image, it does not belong to me.

Back to the original question: I think compounded would make more power, if the engine were built to handle the extra boost, IE lots of fuel and propane injection or whatever they run.

Yes, Compounded turbos ARE NOT the same as Sequential!

What you get with compounded turbos is PRESSURE RATIO. About the maximum pressure ratio you can get now is around 3.5/4:1. That means you are limited to 45-50 psi output. With Sequential turbos, that's it! With compounded turbos, you get 9:1 to 16:1, meaning in theory you can get 230 psi or so from twins, but normally the practical limit is 4:1 on the first turbo, and then run 2:1 on the second for less temperature rise and easier intercooling. This will give you a useable 100-110psi to the manifold.

If you want more flow, the new Garrett Turbos are spinning TWO compressor wheels (for massive flows) off ONE Turbine wheel! This makes for the flow of twin turbos, with the packaging of a single. Theri pressure ratios are in the low 4's as well.

Any way you look at it, a single stage of turbo compression will be limited to around 45psi. But add a second or third stage of compression (with water injection in between stages for intercooling and efficiency) and your boost pressure go sky high, and so does the possibility for additional fuel and combustion. Tractor Pulling engines routinely have upwards of 200psi of boost! Detonation is not an issue on diesels, as fuel is not present in the combustion chamber till it's supposed to be so boost and heat is not the same issue we see in Petrol Engines...