HybridZ

280zx missing parts

brians_zx

when i got my 280zx the a/c compressor was missing. i am going to hit the local junkyards this weekend for many other parts. the problem with southern utah is that we don't get many 280zx's in the yards. after a little research i am lead to belive that the compressors from the earlier z cars will not work due to a smaller size. does anybody know of any other cars that the compressor will fit from? it gets about 110 here in the summer and i perfer about 70-80 any more that that i get angrier than a 2 year old without a nap.:cry2:

i should have typed "try not to" instead of "don't". like "sweetheart i will try not to spend 7 hours at the car show this year." so let's say that i am lucky enough to find another l series engine like from a maxma or something would there be any that would take the 280zx fittings?

when i got my 280zx the a/c compressor was missing.... after a little research i am lead to belive that the compressors from the earlier z cars will not work due to a smaller size. does anybody know of any other cars that the compressor will fit from? ...

There’s not many junkyard choices for a AC compressor that will fit your ZX, I’m afraid.

The 280ZX AC compressors are different from the earlier (1974-78) Z car compressors and also the (1977-80) 810 and the (1981-84) Maxima compressors. The ZX compressors have a larger displacement, require less re-circulating oil and the inlet and outlet ports are reversed.

BTW, there are two types of ZX compressors, an early one and the later one. Difference being the width of the pulley groove. Early ZX compressors use the wide belt like the 1974-78 compressors and the later ZX compressors changed over to a (more modern) narrow belt.

The Z31 compressors changed from the compression fittings to o-ring for sealing of the input and output lines and also went to a serpentine belt so the pulley will be different.