HybridZ

New z pics

BIGJIM

The wheels are 17x7's with tociko springs and struts. The spray gun i used is a Kremlin gravity feed. I used just over a gallon. The paint gets a pint of hardener and a a quart of reducer per gallon, so you have almost 1.5 gallons of mixed paint. I didnt mix it all since i knew i wouldnt spray 1.5 gallons of paint. The car has 5 coats of paint on it. My buddy art color sanded and buffed it yesterday and i VERY happy with the results. Its a smooth shiny orange mirror right now :)

so did you have to do that because you used one stage paint. thats all I have done so far. not sure if two stage is easier or just more expensive. I think with clear coat it adds depths and shine, (right or wrong) and what is involved in doing it that way?

so did you have to do that because you used one stage paint. thats all I have done so far. not sure if two stage is easier or just more expensive. I think with clear coat it adds depths and shine, (right or wrong) and what is involved in doing it that way?

You color sand and buff with 2 stage as well. Any time you paint a car, if you want that glass smooth finish you color sand and buff it after painting. If i didnt tell you it was single stage you wouldnt know the difference. The depth and shine on this car is as good as any 2 stage ive ever used.

hey bigjim

you are right it looks great, so after i spray with one stage I should color sand? and then buff? if thats what it takes it may be worth it. I am planning on painting my 81 this spring , after I finish the body work, but if I did clearcoat I still have to colour sand? Sorry to be repeditive but I haven't heard of everybody doing that.

thanks bob

Yes, you have to color sand clear. Most dont know this, but when a body shop paints your car they color sand it and buff it before you get it back. If you have a place like macco or one day paint and body paint your car with a single stage, you can color sand and buff it as long as they put 3-4 coats of paint on it. Don't color sand single stage metallic colors.

well I am glad you added that last bit as that is what I sprayed the last time was metallic single stage, so you don't do anything for them? BTW are you a bodyman or did you learn the hardway like I seem to be doing. Is there a good book to help with bodywork and paint, I did pic up a haynes and it not bad but if I could find a better book I would like it better , unless it cost 300 or so.

later bob

well I am glad you added that last bit as that is what I sprayed the last time was metallic single stage, so you don't do anything for them? BTW are you a bodyman or did you learn the hardway like I seem to be doing. Is there a good book to help with bodywork and paint, I did pic up a haynes and it not bad but if I could find a better book I would like it better , unless it cost 300 or so.

later bob

the internet has pretty much all the info you need, other than acutal hands on experience painting. Do a google search for "how to paint a car" etc. Like any painting, the biggest factor is good prep work (smooth and very clean surface). You can rush the prep work, but the spots you didn't get fully cleaned will look good for a little, then those nice bubbles and hairline cracks will show up. If you have excessive orange peel with ur base color, just wet sand it down before you spray clear. Single stage you can sand after every coat or after ur done with all the coats, doesn't really matter.

would you mind sendin me a quote on price for the project? what would you charge? whats material cost?

If i had the time i would, but right now im pretty swamped at work and at home with my car. What would you want done exactly? Pm me if you want with the details and we can go from there.