HybridZ

vg30E-ET piston/rod question

premo-s12

does anybody know if i can use the pressed fit rods with the floating pistons or will that pin not fit? they look to be the same OD but not to sure without actually pressing them out.

also, where abouts can i find a decent price on forged rods and pistons or does anyone have a set for sale? i didnt see any listed in the 'for sale' section or on ebay, nor could i find a place that sells them via google.

thanks in advance.

I would use the W-series VG pistons, either the late N/A 9:1 pistons or turbo 8.3:1. Both use the floating pin and will fit onto the DE(TT) rods. All of the VG rods are forged, however the TT rods are the strongest.

Piston wise, I wouldn't use any DE(TT) pistons as the combustion chamber is a good deal smaller than the VG30E(T)'s. You can get custom ones made here for a pretty good deal: http://www.atomicspeedware.com. BRC Performance is also known to make good forged pistons for a good price. I've heard of a number of Z31 guys using them. http://www.brcperformance.com.

awesome, thanks mate!

im doing a full top to bottom rebuild of the VG in my S12 for cuzz of this blower and have discovered a few things: both my pressed rod/pistons and W rod/piston set i had lying around were no good...dammit! my S12 spun a damn rod bearing a while back and i decided to fully rebuild teh motor while i had it out. anyways, it spun it REALLY bad and i dont feel like using the rods or crank now, granted i could probably get em turned, i figure while im in there i might as well jsut get new ones. anyways, i had some pressed fit from a turbo Z on the shelf but they have some wicked pock marks on em and i really wanted to maintain my 9-1 compression ratio. that leaves me up ♥♥♥♥ creek hehe. anyways, i found a set of new rods on ebay for 120 (w series) and i guess id just need to get some pistons for it.

FYI, SE S12 and 85' Z31 cranks are not swapable..the accessorie bit of the crank is a grip shorter ont eh Z31.

I just completed a rebuild of a VG30 and replaced the stockers with Wiseco Forged units. They are about $570.00 ....... but new stockers are about the same ( turbo or non-turbo ).

The pistons are designed for the TT motors but will work fine in a 84-89 motor with the following mods........

1) Block must be bored .20

( the piston is a .20 oversize - 86.5mm vs stock 86.0mm )

2) If you use the forged stock 84-89 rods then they need to be machined

to fit the larger wrist pin of the TT pistons.

However.........

If you use those TT rods that MTCOOKSON is offering for $60.00 the pistons will fit without the extra machine work. Replace the wrist pin bushing in the top of the rod and install the pistons. It will save you @ $200.00 in machine work.