HybridZ

hx30 power levels

stagefumer11

hey guys, Well i picked up a brand new Hx30w for my l28et build.

Im using a n42/n42 combo, with port matched manifold and head.

IM sorting looking at what kind of power levels i can exspect out of this turbo. Its def a well defined small package. From what i can find good for around 400hp, but unsre of that.

Here is the only compressor map i could find. Really shows some huge flow rates

untitled24sv_thumb.jpg

I definitely wouldn't mind having one for my VG but they are pretty rare as I believe they're mostly found on diesel generators. You definitely got a real good deal getting a new one.

Going by Holset's website info, it should support upwards of 480 hp on a gas engine, which if that map is correct would be at about 25-26 psi or so.

On yours, is the turbine housing a single scroll or dual scroll?

Its a single scroll unit. 9cm.. I found the forumla on the net to work out the a/r ratio and its .65 So it wont be to laggy. Also has a nice 3" Vband clamp exahaust side.

From what i found/measured. Compresser inducer is 44mm. (not mega big) and OD is 76mm.

I emailed holset about this turbo, and they said it came off one of their 4L diesel engines.Possibly one of the best matches for a l28 ?

I just got done installing an HX30 on my car, (78 with 83T engine) and it spools insanely quickly... As fast if not faster than the stock T3. I tested how early i could get a full 14 lbs, and it came out to be 2300RPM in 5th gear... granted it took about 3-4 seconds, but the turbo is amazing... at around 3k it seems to go into positive pressure territory immediately. I have no dyno results as of yet, but I say if you can get your hands on one, do it!

What I meant by my remark about 3k RPM and positive pressure, was that it was near instantaneous to go from 25in/vac to positive pressure, and from there another .5-1 second longer to reach 14 lbs... lag is almost not an issue with this turbo... It feels like what a WRX STI would feel like with the stock WRX turbo on it... however, the turbo seems like it is hardly breathing, as even after rather spirited runs, IAT only rise 10-20 degrees @ 14lbs of boost, much unlike the stock T3, which started to cook itself at those boost levels.

Of corse, Its not a car i will ever part with, Older skylines are rare here.

Pitty tho, she was my daily driver with a nicly worked l20et. Making around 200rwhp, But failed her WOf on a ball joint and brakes. This pushed me over to take it off the road and do the l28 build up for it.

Then found the rust when i pulled the motor. The l20et was poked., 480,000k on the clock :P

• 8 months later...