HybridZ

Silencer/bullet muffler for midsection?

auxilary

Hey guys, just got my rx7 to r200 driveshaft made, and the car's going to an exhaust shop to get piping welded up, and to finish up the whole exhaust system while I'm at it.

I have a magnaflow 3" straight through SS muffler for end piece,

magnaflow1.jpg

magnaflow2.jpg

But I need a center section silencer because it'll be too loud otherwise. Sure, it'd be nice on a v8, but no one wants to listen to a rotary :)

So... what can I get for about $150 tops to serve as a mid-section silencer, has to be stainless steel, and no fiberglass packing - rotary heat will blow out mild steel and fiberglass very fast. Exhaust is a 3" stainless setup

you know, what about this...

sum-630630.jpg

Manufactured in the USA by Stainless Works, these Smooth Tube mufflers have a 304 stainless steel body, core, and packing material. The bodies are 3 1/2 inches in diameter and are made from one piece of 16-gauge material-- there are no welds on the outside of the body to crack or distort, and the stainless steel will never rust. The straight-through design, combined with a perforated louvered core, delivers a deep rumble at idle and an awesome full-throttle sound.

That would work well, since it'd replace half the piping anyway :)

or magnaflow unit

mpe-14419_w.jpg

also uses ss packing. and about 70 bucks

A1 racing has something like what you are looking for in their catalog. It is a section that goes from 3" to 4" for about 8" long. It is made to go right behind the header of a CASCAR or similar circle track car. It's like $16 so it's cheap...

I don't think it's stainless... aluminized steel does not stand up to rotary heat

I run a MagnaFlow 2.5 in/out x 16" for a resonator and a MagnaFlow 2.5 in/out 14" oval in rear. The rest of the the exhaust is a Janspeed 6-2-1 s/s header 2" out and opening to 2.5" just before the resonator. All the piping is s/s. It is exceptionally quiet for a slightly modified 2.4 L6. I have thought of sliding a short split s/s tube inside the resonator to increase the volume. The best part there is no drone at all at any rpm but it has that rich euro sound under full load.

Mike,

I contacted that vendor last week, actually. He said that rotary will blow out the packing on that muffler. Sorry.

I wound up ordering the magnaflow unit shown above... I've got until the 31 to make up my mind if I want to change it, since it's backordered from summit.

Guest 280ZForce

aux...have you considered getting a setup like APEXi makes which allows you to weld in a spring loaded butterfly valve flange and then you can open and close it from inside the car and adjust the angle of it for silence or to open it up and hear it roar. So you can still have the muffler of your choice and hear it when you want and just open the valve.

I've seriously considered this for my car, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

check it out... you can google the name and part #... probably get them for around $50-$100 shipped easy.

But here's the info from APEXi site... called the ECV.

APEXi ECV...click here

aux...have you considered getting a setup like APEXi makes which allows you to weld in a spring loaded butterfly valve flange and then you can open and close it from inside the car and adjust the angle of it for silence or to open it up and hear it roar. So you can still have the muffler of your choice and hear it when you want and just open the valve.

I've seriously considered this for my car, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

check it out... you can google the name and part #... probably get them for around $50-$100 shipped easy.

But here's the info from APEXi site... called the ECV.

APEXi ECV...click here

Wow.... pretty cool idea, but wouldn't that create a ton of back pressure...??