HybridZ

Trying to find a Mod...

naviathan

I remember reading a while back about the fuel rail cooling fan and how the early ZX doesn't stay on after the ignition shuts down, but the 83 does. There was a mod to fix that problem on the early model and I can't remember where it is. I've tried searching the forums and going through all the tech tips in my bookmarks, but I have come up empty handed. Who remembers this mod?

Thanks!

Ok I started checking through the FSM and although it's for an 82 not an 81 I think I may have an idea of what's going on. It appears the only way that fan can kick on while the car is running is if the ignition relay for some reason opens signaling the ignition is off to the fan motor timer unit. No I just need to find all these components and figure out what the issue is.

I KNOW 79's and 80's stay on for 17 minutes if the water temperature is at or above 220 deg F after the key is tuned off. I belive ALL zx's were this way.

This is the key statement. The fan will not come on when you shut the car off unless the water temp is 220 deg. or greater and this includes the 79 and 80's models. This is true if everything is working right...:-)

LARRY

Ok but if I drive around and get the car completely warmed up then stop at say a gas station or someplace where I'm only going to be there 30 minutes or less when I restart it acts like it's vapor locked and the temp gauge reads well over center gauge for about 30 seconds until everything gets moving again.

Not saying that this is your problem, but on two of my 280z's, leaking injectors caused what appeared to be vapor lock problems. Seemed to only happen when the car was hot.

The leaks were slow enough that the cars didn't run rich, but would cause flooding of one or two cylinders after a few minutes of sitting. I pulled to fuel rail with injectors and hoses intact and sure enough, after pressurizing the system there was the occasional drop of gas from the tip of one of the injectors.

I have the 80ZX FSM and in the engine fuel section under Trouble Shooting there's a section called.. Engine hard to start only when hot. It indicates to check the cold start value and the thermotime switch. If your 82 FSM doesn't have this section I can post how to check them. A faulty cold start valve would be spraying excess fuel into a hot engine therefore causing trouble in starting it as opposed to a cold engine start.

LARRY