HybridZ

BBC engine specs questions

Hi All,

I just found this add on Ebay and the guy is in my neighborhood somewhere. I need some experts on BBC to tell me how much this engine worth and should I get it or not? Here is the info on the engine:

On the left rear deck, behind the head , on the block the #'s are : 14015445

On the center deck on the block in the rear , are the #'s and letters : G 2 P

On the right rear deck of the block , behind the head are #'s : E278

On the rear of the engine in the bell housing area it has : M IV Hi Perf 445

On the sides of the engine it has : GM 7.4 LG

On the heads are a few #'s , they are : D 208 GM1 CFD G272990

On the valve covers that came on the engine it says : 2-22-73 3965775 ( which leads me to believe that this engine was built in 1973 ? )

On the front of the engine block , above the timing chain cover : TLO7X CH8

There are also stickers on the factory valve covers that read :

Special Parts Notice

This part has been specifically designed for off-highway application only . Since the installation of this part may either impart your vehicles emission control performance or be uncertified under current Motor Vehicle Safety Standards . It should not be installed in a vehicle used on any street or highway . Additionally , any such application could adversely affect the warranty coverage on such an on-street or highway vehicle .

2-22-73 3965775

Here is the Ebay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140076550360&fromMakeTrack=true

Thank you much.

Vinh

Guest 280ZForce

contact member on here named Project_BBZ, he has done a 454 bbc swap in his Z.

His starting thread about it...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=98860

And it's alive thread...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=115167

man that guy selling the engine made a few passes and pulled a 11.7 1/4 all motor in his chevelle the way it is now, imagine in a tiny light weight Z...:burnout:

It sounds like an LS-6 crate engine from the sticker and the head casting number "990" heads are rectangular port BBC heads used on the LS6 crate motors.

The block casting date you listed looks like a 1978 model, but you could be reading the 3 as an 8 in the casting because it is often difficult to tell the difference due to the casting flash.

3965775 is the GM part number, but it is no longer a valid part number. A GM parts counter guy can probably look it up. The LS-6 crate engines have been discontinued so there won't be an updated number.

Thanks Grumpy and everyone for the replies. I contacted the seller and will come to check out the motor. His reserve price is 5500. I have a guy that rented my garage and he is building an 8 second car for someone and it's all motor. So I think he should know his stuffs. I will ask him to check out the motor for me.

Thanks again

Vinh

• 1 month later...
It sounds like an LS-6 crate engine from the sticker and the head casting number "990" heads are rectangular port BBC heads used on the LS6 crate motors.

Agreed. Although I thought LS-6's used closed chamber heads. The only one I've ever pulled apart was from a 1970 Chevelle and it had 291 heads if memory serves. There may be different heads offered on the factory installed LS-6's VS the crate/over the counter replacements.

Anyway 990's are decent heads too (rect port, open chamber). Their faults are the intake ports are too big for streetable 454's and they have a small, crappy flowing exhaust port.

However, any decent head porter with a bench can fix them up pretty easily.