HybridZ

trans brake or no trans brake

rdsk8ter

I am very confused asking for a hand here. I am building a turbo 400 tranny and need to decide if I am going to put in a trans brake.

plus sides

way better launches

manual shifting

not to hard on the tranny

no way to hit nuetral (reverse pattern)

negitives

manual shifting

having to shift all the time

more money

Please if you have any oppinions about this i would greatly appreciate it. Background on the car. Its a weekend warrior that is still being built.

lots of time and thought have gone into this build and i want to make it unique in its own way. You guys and gals always give me great advice and I thank you for the help

I'm no where close to an expert, but i have always liked having complete control of the car. if you don't mind the shifting all the time i would go with the trans brake. i don't really know much about automatic tyranny's though. my dads 71 jeepster has a turbo 400 and OMG that thing just about snaps your neck every time it shifts and I LOVE THE FEEL. all that power on tap. i have known other people that don't like to think much or multitask when driving. there's my 2 cents worth. hope i helped.

A Transbrake is a nice feature to have. It also really depends what you are planning on putting it in? If you are thinking about putting it in a Datsun Z with a stock suspension / IRS, then I would not do it. You will break it.

We normally run a powerglide 2 speed with a transbrake in the other race car, if it is light use a glide, heavy use a turbo 350 or 400. This is normally the general rule.

We have tried to use the turb 350 in our Z-car and it was way to violent, tuff on parts.

IMO....

John

Any time you put an auto trans in two gears at the same time, it's going to be hard on the trans and converter since it keeps it at stall speed for a few seconds. If you use one try to stall it for the shortest time possible before releasing. Sometimes you see guys up on the stall or 2 step as soon as they stage and before the tree falls, which is not a good idea if you want it to last.

The driveline is not loaded like in footbraking. I run the transbrake and the launch on footbrake gives me better 60' times and launches harder, which is probably due to converter design. I can cut a better light on the transbrake since it requires less movement.