HybridZ

LT1 Swap Help

Hey guys I need some help with my LT1 + 4l60e using the JTR kit, I have looked around and other people havent seem to have the same problem I am having. I tried putting in my engine/transmission in my 75 280z and only one of the mounts will line up with the hole in the mounts on the crossmember and the other one is almost 2 inches off. I looked at the end of the transmission and it seems to be lined up perfectly with the diff. Im not sure what I could be doing wrong, the engine has enough room room around it. The only way I could get it to fit is if the transmission was horribly off. And I have read through the JTR manual several times and made sure that I had the mounts on the right side.

drivers mount_thumb.jpg

drivers mount unzoomed_thumb.jpg

Passenger mount_thumb.jpg

Tranny_thumb.jpg

...And I have read through the JTR manual several times and made sure that I had the mounts on the right side.

Having one of the plates swapped for the other or (upside down?) is the only thing I can think of. If there has EVER been a fitment issue, it has never been the fault of JTR, but the chassis or the most common: mechanic error.

It's difficult to tell from your photos. Try emailing or PMing Bartman, he has an LT1 in a 240Z. I don't think he had any issues mounting his engine and tranny, so perhaps he can help you.

Davy

If I'm looking at your pics correctly, it looks like the problem is with the way that you mounted the actual motor mounts to the Z crossmember. I went out and looked at mine (I have the JTR/LT1 setup as well) and mine are mounted with the motor mount centered on the crossmember.

Anyone see something different?

Bryan

Dat240zg

I think you have swapped sides. I've got the same set up. It's hard to tell from the pics but that is a common mistake.

Looks like the engine is a little far forward also.

Swap sides with the set back plates and I bet it drops right in.

I got your PM and I've been looking at you pic's trying to see what the problem is. It does look like you have the set back plates switched.

DAT-200.jpg

DAT-102 is the drivers side set back plate, but based on the first picture in your initial post it looks like you have DAT-101 on the drivers side.

I looked on bartmans weppage about his lt1 swap and from the pics he has, compared to mine, it looks like I have the mounts on the right side. What is weird is my right side mount is upside down from what his is. The first pic is of bartmans passenger side. I dont know if this would make a difference.
Looking closer, maybe the setback plates are on the right sides, but the passenger side plate is upside down. As you noted, your right side mount is upside down from my installation.

jtr seventh edtion shows the plate with the flat top for the pass side, the angled one for the drvers side. looks like your three bolts for the orignal motor mounts are upside down on the pass side. the three through holes should line up to these orignal bolt holes, two top and one on the bottom. mine is still on the eng stand hope mine is correct,Lee

i have the same problem with mine also, but i can not figure it out, i ended up chopping out a piece of my cross member to make it work with the ac delete pulley. unfortanatly, im going to have to pull it again so ill be looking into that also. its a PITA to put mine in. put all kinds of dents on my fresh engine bay coating...good luck...

You have bolted the mounts to the wrong mounting bosses on the block. If I remember correctly there are what looks like 2 different sets of mount bosses one with a single on the bottom and 2 on the top and one thats the opposite. You should use the bosses that have the 2 points on top (closer to the heads) and the single on the bottom.

They look upside down because you've got the passenger side on the wrong ones.

Wheelman

You have bolted the mounts to the wrong mounting bosses on the block. If I remember correctly there are what looks like 2 different sets of mount bosses one with a single on the bottom and 2 on the top and one thats the opposite. You should use the bosses that have the 2 points on top (closer to the heads) and the single on the bottom.

They look upside down because you've got the passenger side on the wrong ones.

Wheelman

I think Wheelman's got it. Your setback plate is upside down and too far back (to the rear of the block). If you flip it over (the set back plate will mount to the block with 2 bolts on top and one on the bottom) the mount will be moved farther forward. The way you have it now the engine is probably sitting too far forward with plenty of space between the engine and firewall. In the pic's of my passenger mount and yours you can see that my motor mount looks closer to the front of the engine than yours. It's hard to tell from the pic, but maybe your dipstick is mounted to the correct engine boss farther forward?

Hurray for me! :)

Glad I could finally help someone else on this site after all the info I've gathered from it over the years.

I remember working through which set of mounting bosses to use when I swapped my LT1. When I finally looked at the pictures it triggered the memory.

Wheelman