HybridZ

Custom heat shield questions

kilten_one

Due to a previous owner removing the stock heat shield and it not making its way to me, I must replace it. Since i will be working around an aftermarket header I will be making it myself. The questions I have are what thickness of metal should I use, and also could anyone tell me the length of the spring on their SU carbs that connect to the stock heat shield when it is connected

That is length when attached correctly to the stock location.

I've got at least 3 heatshields from cars with L24 and SU carbs. 1 has an aftermarket header.

You can have the heatshield if you want it. If you want the header (6-1, with a small rust hole on #1) for somthing to start with, you can have it for really cheap.

1/16" thick!!! I think that is overkill... but the original did provide a mounting point for the throttle return springs...

If you can relocate your throttle return springs then you can use the thinnest stuff you can find... I have even seen folks crush aluminum dryer hoses flat to make a 2 layer corrugated heat shield on race cars... ugly as hell but they are EFFECTIVE

Don't forget to insulate your fuel lines as well...

Header wrap is nice too...