HybridZ

ls1 vs sbc difficulty.

Guest jmikell870

Why is carbed harder? I understand why using a different transmission changes things, but the carb should just mean that you have to figure out a cable setup to the pedal and an aftermarket box for the ignition, right?

The intake sits taller, so you need to get the motor lower. That means the alternator hits the steering knuckle, so need to figure something else out. But that was OK cause the motor had Corvette accessories and couldn't really use a stock F body alternator mount anyway.

Then of course with the shorter trans, you need to get the motor as far back as possible. This means a 14 inch air cleaner hits the hood latch requiring that to be moved.

No, the big deal is just in not being able to use a kit where you know everything will fit the first time out.

The original post asked the difficulty of an LS1 swap vs sbc. The reason I think it's easier to do a swap with an SBC is that it's been done many times before and just about every SBC specific issue has already been accounted for and addressed. If you go with the JTR setup, you have good documentation and support (including tons of info on our site).

LSx swaps are getting more commonplace, but it hasn't gotten to the same level as SBC swaps. The cost is generally higher (for example, John's kit), and you may or may not run into other issues.

All in all maybe the difference isn't enough to be the deciding factor. If you want an LSx swap, then go for it. Recognize it may be more difficult or expensive, but if that's the engine you really want than it will probably be worth it.

No need to break a sweat over this guys. Both swaps require the same difficulties like I mentioned. The LSx swap will require a little more wiring but you don't have to worry about messing with the PCM afterward as compare to the carb. You still need to tune the carb. I don't know to tune carb and I have a friend with an SBC with carb and it never run right and still does until now. Plus the carb drinks about 10 MPG. That's why I stay away from carb

The basic stuffs still the same for both swaps like: Engine mounts, trans mount, cooling, AC/Heat, driveshaft mod, tach and speedo, Alt wiring, shifter. Did I miss anything else.

If you don't do any swap then you don't really know how difficult or easy it is. You just have to dive in and experience it. To be successful don't be afraid of taking chances. GL on your decision.

Sorry. Serious thread hyjack here.

I had to fab my own mounts for all the reasons I stated above.

JCI's kit definitely would not have worked with my trans choice. It may work with the carb intake. There was one other guy, screen name Lason I believe, who was doing an LS1 swap with JCI's mounts and a carb intake. He was also doing a back half. Not sure where he ended up.

There are a few gotcha's on the LS motors. In particular the water temp sensor. All SBC's since the begining of time have used either a 1/2 NPT or 3/8 inch threaded sensor. The LS motors use a metric fitting that is smaller than the 3/8 NPT. The aftermarket has yet to catch up to this. I had to drill out the block heater plug and tap the Datsun sender into that. If I had gone aftermarket guages then maybe there is something that works with the LS heads. Fan controller is in the same catagory. Had to use a radiator probe.

I would say the other complication on LS swaps is the shortage of donor vehicles. V8 F bodies were never that popular in the first place and they sure aren't getting anymore common. The GTO-LS2 stuff comes with it's own set of headaches. Truck motors need new intakes and accessories.

10 MPG on the carb, I hope not. There was a recent thread someone posted on the AZC carb set up vs. his Megasquirt L6. Mileage was the same for both.

On the LS motors, from what I have seen, the carb shouldn't be too far behind the FI. I don't know how to tune a carb either. At least not a hipo carb. But only one way to learn. They still publish books on this sort of thing. I will install some type of O2 sensor to help.

Nah, tuning the carb is something I look forward to. That will mean I have the car running and on the road. I have two sets of old rear tires to help with the procedure :)

Get to do the fuel system this week end.