HybridZ

Few more Festiva vids and pics now thats its buttoned up and 'done'.

MusPuppis

I got to drive it today for the first time and we got a couple little video's. Still nothing great, I hope to have some flat out race shots before long, but that will likely be this weekend when 2Fast2Festy hits the streets in the "big" (I use that term comparativly) city and we cart it around to the large amount of poeple we've told about the project but that didnt beleive us, haha.

I have to honestly say though, out of everything Ive driven and ridden in, which includes a fair number of vehicles faster than the Fester will every likely be, this one scares me more than any other. Most of its the suspension right now, which Bryan is handeling at the end of this month, new struts, springs, rotors, pads, rear sway, front strut bar, etc, but when you dig the pedal the car is a monster, it will not stay straight and you have to fight it with everything you have to keep it on the road, which is quite fun, but dangerous. The thing is so small, loud and whiny though that you REALLY feel like your in a go-cart, its insane.

Little info on the first video. Thats me driving, first time in the car, first launch and never been behind a 4 puck that was that annoying, so my launch is just... um, trash! I didnt hook at all in first and only a tiny bit in second, didnt actually grab the pavement at WOT until third and thats when I start to walk away. Now, the follow car is a '93 Mustang w. 70mm MAF, TB, CAI, Underdrive, Shortys, H-Pipe, No cats, big mufflers, timing pushed forward, short throw, 3.73's, .30 over and a few other odds and ends.. Its good for about a 13.7-9 consistently with Bob driving. He spun in first some but caught second without a problem. Bryan is filming and has the camera zoomed all the way in, so its tought to tell just how bad I left him, but I was pulling HARD all the way, even spinning like an idiot.. ha. I think with our slicks on it and one person in the car we are looking very close to our target times of higher 12's with a decent launch. The rims we have up front are a hindrance though and will be replaced, heavy heavy heavy heavy. Oh, the second head in the Festy is my girlfriend, she happened to be with me, ha. All she managed to do when I got on it was make a high pitched squealing sound, then she looked at me and just said "♥♥♥♥ John you werent kidding". Then we had some sex, but that was later. YukYuk.

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/damein17/festiva/?action=view&current=MOV01480.flv

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/damein17/festiva/?action=view&current=MOV01478.flv

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c53/damein17/festiva/?action=view&current=MOV01477.flv

Couple pics so you can see how odd this thing really looks.. Oh, we have to buy another back bumper, the car hit a pole long before we owned it and we had it on the frame rack to get the ass pulled out properly, we got it pulled but the bumper was toast. Stock festy rims on the back, Capri XR2 rims from the swap donor up front. Soon they get moved to the rear with our spacers and the Capri rims with the drag slicks get put up front. ha.

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01485.jpg

Sure, I'll see if I can give a basic run-down of our costs.

Festiva .......................................................650$*

Capri/323 (donor car) ........................................1100$**

FMIC ...........................................................80$

w. Shipping ....................................................25$

Piping ........................................................120$

w. Shipping ....................................................50$

Reich Racing ECU ..............................................235$

w. Shipping ....................................................15$

Corksport DP ..................................................250$

w. Shipping ....................................................70$

ACT 4 Puck Clutch .............................................300$

w. Shipping ....................................................40$

Radiator***** .................................................150$

Metal for Motor Mounts and assorted this' and thats ...........175$

Walbro 255 .....................................................90$

w. Shipping ....................................................10$

Manual Boost controller ........................................30$

w. Shipping ....................................................10$

Boost Gauge ....................................................20$

Tach ...........................................................80$***

Temp Gauge .....................................................20$

Misc. .........................................................450$****

Ibuprofen .......................................................5$

Bible - Free at the hotel you'll be staying at when your wife kicks you out of the house for cussing and hitting things in front of your children, neighbors and in-laws.

Total ........................................................3975$

* We over paid, it took us FOREVER to find a damn Festiva. A J/Y Chasis with title will be fine, you need next to nothing from the car itself the car itself.

** That was our cost. we paid 800$ for the car but had to drive to New York to pick it up, then drive it back, lol. You can do better than our cost. Buying a complete, running car is important if you can help it, you need the motor, tranny, wiring, relays, axles, and if you want the rims and tires, and a number of other things, one complete car wil save you a headache and several trips to the J/Y.

*** Thats the cost of a big giant tach and its worth it, you need your eyes on the road in this car, not looking at a little tiny ass gauge. Shift lights are your friend.

**** Misc simply refers to all the extra crap thats hard to tally up. Wire, butt connectors, heat shrink tubing, solder, tune-up and oil change junk, the silicon step-down for the I/C piping to the turbo, crap to clean your engine bay, and on and on.

***** Just what radiator you use is up to you. Mount the engine and take your measurements, then just go J/Ying. Our radiator is a mystery unit we found on the floor of a radiator shop and had modified to work, no idea what its out of, haha.

Also, please note all shipping prices are approx. and your prices may vary considerably.

The list is a very basic one as far as prices go but it gives an upper-end cost estimate for anyone interested in the swap. With some careful shopping, patience and wheeling and dealing you can come in several hundred lower than we did in cost. With some luck and patience I think you could manage this swap for as little as 3300-3400$. A 12 second car for less than 3500$ aint bad!

One thing I did not list was rims and tires. The festiva's stockers WILL NOT WORK. Lemme say that again, WILL NOT WORK. I mean, they fit, but put it this way. We're running with a performance tire literally twice as wide on a rim twice as heavy and 2in larger and we can spin through third if we dont peddle it.. Festiva rims and tires are a fantastic way to waste your time and power by spinning through, oh I dunno, 5th.

This list is also based on doing the work all yourself ans assumes you have the tools and space available. Other than your usual hand tools you need a welder, GOOD measureing devices, a decent workbench and various metal working tools along the lines of a chop saw, cut-off wheel, etc, soldering iron and some patience.

Oh, haha, we also found an electric defroster that weighs MAYBE 5 pounds, so before long I'm gonna pull the dash out, gut the hell out of and junk the heater core.. Muwhahaha. Maybe if I'm lucky I can squeeze 10-15 more pds out of the car. Didnt I read somewhere its like 7pds = almost 1 hp? Hell yeah! I'll take 1.3-2hp gain for free!

Nice Vids,Its hard to get used to the torquesteer @ first.Be carefull,There is a guy in Sacramento that just wrecked he's Turbo Festiva.We had this same problem when my car came out of the shop.Time is key get to know any car you drive first and then after you become one with it well you know what to do...

Davy,I work in Fremont and drive my car to work every day.If you want to check it out let me know,I get lots of time out @ work.....My price was vary high due to me using a shop,plus there was not enough info when I did mine,Festiva's are becoming popular now..I have recently bought a project from one of the local members and I payed $400 for the festiva and all parts needed for the swap minus motor mounts wich I could have made for cheap.I dont like the shell so I'm currently looking for another.I figured to duplicate the swap with less than 3k using the same parts.

The white festiva is getting a turbo upgrade soon so I'll have many parts to use with my next one.....

And yes this is a fun car...

Me @ sacramento Raceway,Being spyed on by California Fast Fords Forum........

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0285.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

Yeah I know what ya mean, getting used to this little thing is gonna take some time, till then I hope I dont go ditch diving.. Hitting that pedal is addicting though I'm having trouble keeping myself from doing it EVERY TIME I have to accel.

We're overboosting a little which also has me worried.. about 17-18psi. need to get the manual boost controller hooked up and dial the boost in around 16psi.

Its a shame, I gotta spend all day today getting a new fuel pump and water pump on the SHO, not gonna be able to work on the Fester.