HybridZ

Turbo V8 guys

decided to change from nitrous to put a turbo/blow-through setup on. The only thing is is that i had a huge book on turbos i printed off the net to help choose a turbo but i lost i. So i'm asking you guys what you got for single turbos on your v8's. I was thinking about a T-66 for my 350. I only want to run 10.0 so i think that is something like 650-700fwhp i need which is very doable. Any suggestions on turbo for my engine would be good. I'm also getting new dished pistons to lower my compression to about 8.2:1 and some eagle rods. but just wanted to see what size you guys where running.

Dustin,

A single turbo is much easier to pull off, obviously. I like my setup, but if I were forced to do it again, it would go with a T66 or a T70, plenty for a well built small block. You should easily be able get into the 10's without problems and drive it all day. Plus, you won't have to refill the bottle.

Thanks for you input silicone, I figured i might as well do it now rather than just put nitrous on it to get it running, even if it does set me back a couple months. I'm planning on making my own headers and running the turbo towards the front of the car like the turbo stang boys do. What do you think about that silicone as far as placement? Also what A/R would be good for the turbo and compressor housing?

thanks.

Guest Gr8White
decided to change from nitrous to put a turbo/blow-through setup on. Any suggestions on turbo for my engine would be good.

Go with the smaller turbo, say a T-66 with your setup. It's always better to undersize your turbo slightly than oversize it. The T-66 will spool like mad, offer plenty of power down low and up top and run easy 10's. However.....

The T76 will certainly offer more power potential. If you are anything like me (and most gearheads) Horsepower is a drug. The more you have, the more you want. I started out thinking Hmm, 12's would be nice..then 11's would be adequate...then 10's sure would be sweet...and then.... I just had to be in the 9's.... then.....Well, my budget has limited me to drooling for that 8.80 but I still want it!!!

If you don't plan on going faster (yeah right) then the T66 is the right choice. If you are a hopeless addict, get the T76! :eek: :eek: :eek:

I dont plan on going anyfaster than a 10.0 with my 280zx. I dont want to put all the safety stuff in it. I'll get another z to put all that safety stuff in it so i can go nines down the road ;). But I just want something to make about 700 fwhp. So what would be a good A/R?

I think your headers idea will work out just fine for a front mounted single turbo. As for AR ratio, I don't really know, but you don't need something that spools up really fast since you have the low end torque. 0.7 maybe? That's always an unscientific question and there's a lot of subjectivity. You never know until you try it. I'm planning to turbo a 5 cylinder (a Hummer), and no one knows which ratios work best there. I'll just have to set up the turbo so that if what I initially choose doesn't work out, I can easily change it.

I talked to Mike from master power turbos and he suggested a T70 turbo with a .96 A/R. He said that should put down about 600 rwhp at 12 psi and about 700rwhp at 20psi on a 350. Yes thats RWHP. New Polished turbo for 600 plus shipping. I searched on the turbo mustang board and everyone said that they were well built turbos (not like the glued together ones on ebay, lol) and one guy had a minor defect with his and they replaced it with a new one so thats enough to get me to buy one. I dont think my girlfirend is going to like that I'll spend more time with my car than her. Guess she'll just have to help if she really loves me. I'll give her parts to clean. HAHA. Hopefully I will be done by the end of June. Thanks for all your input.

Well I got the engine bay empty right now and parts to start working on mounting the engine. But with college its hard to get time to work on it, and with me wrestling in college I have no time at all cause it takes up the weekends. I will post pics with the progress I make and I should have it done by end of june. My brother is a mech. engineer at john deere in iowa so he is going to tell me the exact turbo specs I need since all he does is work on the new turbocharged engines. Trying to talk him into hooking me up with a new garret but I dont think thats going to happen. LOL.

Yea, i'm definetley excited about it. The best part is going to be when I pull up the gas station and say fill it up. LOL. I'm going to run 8 pounds when i'm on the street, and at the track about 12 with some race gasand 93 mix (no harm in being safe). I am using patriot headers and flipping them, putting a 90 on it and mounting the turbo up front like a buick gn (down lower though) and running 4" back from that. The other thing is that its going to be so quiet too, most poeple will think its just a turbo L6. LOL.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_755468_-1

^^thats the link for the headers.

I stole that header idea from a guy on the turbomustang board so I can't take credit for it.

Yea, i'm definetley excited about it. The best part is going to be when I pull up the gas station and say fill it up. LOL. I'm going to run 8 pounds when i'm on the street, and at the track about 12 with some race gasand 93 mix (no harm in being safe). I am using patriot headers and flipping them, putting a 90 on it and mounting the turbo up front like a buick gn (down lower though) and running 4" back from that. The other thing is that its going to be so quiet too, most poeple will think its just a turbo L6. LOL.

I stole that header idea from a guy on the turbomustang board so I can't take credit for it.

As I have said before, those Turbomustang guys invented turbocharging on the cheap, and they go as fast as anyone. I got the flipped over header idea from them. You will really like how quiet a turbo motor sounds.

Hey Dustin...

Forgive my ignorance but, can the flipping of those headers shown on the link really work on the SBC 350/383?

Can one just flip these headers and they bolt right up onto the head of the SBC or do I need to be educated in some fabrication I would need besides the 90 deg bend?

I am on the same track as you and this sure is very valuable info for me.