HybridZ

r200

rdsk8ter

Here is the breakdown of what the numbers/letters mean. You guys with ZX's that have a "Y" at the end, don't even ask what it stands for, as nobody seems to know. Remember, this is the "MODEL" number, not the VIN. The number breakdown below refers to the number on the plate behind the battery, NOT the one on the dash, stamped into the firewall or b-pillar.

Here is some info straight from the FSM that should help solve the mystery without opening the diff to read the numbers stamped on the ring gear.

IDPLATE.JPG

DESIS.JPG

Notice the bottom right corner..."J" represents a GL model.

I'm really kinda shocked that nobody uses the "basic" information thats so readily available in the FSM. If you don't have one, GET ONE!

Looks to be R200. I said search because the information is in the sticky labeled "Complete Differential List" right at the top of this forum...

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=103512&page=3

Halfway down that page is all the info you need.

280ZX 79 MT,4 Spd,2 Seater (3.364) (R180)

280ZX 79 MT,5 Spd,2 Seater (3.364) (R180)

280ZX 79 All With Automatic(3.545) (R180)

280ZX 79 MT,4 Spd,4 Seater (3.364) (R200)

280ZX 79 MT,5 Spd,4 Seater (3.7) (R200)

280ZX-GL 79 (3.7) (R200)

That is what pertains to you. You must have a 2+2 of a GL if you had an R200 stock which it appears you do have. Maybe you got the 3.36 which would be worth a pretty penny.

That is what pertains to you. You must have a 2+2 of a GL if you had an R200 stock which it appears you do have. Maybe you got the 3.36 which would be worth a pretty penny.

Yeah, your next step will have to be to remove the diff cover and locate the ratio on the ring gear. Just rotate the gear until you find the small engraving. Then just convert the fraction to a decimal to see if you have a 3.364, 3.545, 3.90, etc. You'll have to know this before shopping for a LSD.

While doing that, take the opportunity to clean the area inside and out, then get some good synthetic gear oil to refill the diff.

- Greg -

Damn Nissan... After further checking on my 80 280ZX all they put on those Id plates was HS130...... I have the FSM and the lettering to indicate what rear end you have is not on any of those plates or tags..... The lettering was only on the dealer's invoice. Therefore I'm modifing my original post.

Pull the cover......

LARRY