HybridZ

Welded diff?

cpt jack

We won a lot of races in ITS with a welded diff too. And broke some stub axles. In fact the ultimate demise of the first car was a broken stub axle followed swiftly by tub fatal contact with a wall.

What's funny is, after I replaced the welded diff with a Quaife in my 240Z, I broke two stub axles within a month. One at an autocross (annoying but not scary) and one coming off Magic Mountain at Buttonwillow going aobut 80 mph (annoying and really scary). The only thing that saved me was the brake drum and shoes held the stub axle somewhat in place until I could limp back to the pits.

I have a welded R180 min my 240 with a sbc and an automatic .. Mainly a drag car works great for that as for spot welding it .. well that won't hold up.. i welded the spider gears to eachother as well as to the carrier ..... has not broke yet but there is an anoying vibration ya can feel that started as soon as i welded it .. I did see ya said ya wanna drift with the car... i have had mine out in a few parking lots just messing around and the welded diff has no prob tossing the rear of the car around.....just for fun i took off the drag radials and have some pep boys cheap tires on it and man it is fun .. just touch the gas at all for instant smoke show

There is a guy i used to autox who popped stub axels almost every event, he had some 13+10 race slicks on his welded r200 260z.

I think the race rubber and welded diff are hard on the axels

For drifting I am using

r200 w/ nismo gt lsd

280zxt cv axels and 240z stub axels

my hp is in the low 300 range, and i am using 205-50-15 cooper zpt tires. i have only run 3 drift events in the car since it was completed in september "off season" but i re checked them when the season was over, and they look fine "no magnafluxing or metal photos, just by eyeball" but i have had no problems with 240z stubs,

I belive the road racers and autoxers are having stub axel problems due to the race tires and loads placed on teh stubs, witch in drifting, the only real load is subdued by the burning street tires. im not saying there by any means bullet proof, and i hope i never brake one with the 140 mph wheel speed happening.. but i have had no probs yet, but its still early to call.