HybridZ

Welded diff?

cpt jack

Hi all i own a 280zx and its being preped for gymkahana and drifting... anyone know if it is possable to weld the diff in a z and if its durable? Anyone have a welded diff in there z? What are the draw backs things like that, ive used the search button and cant find anything... anyhelp would be really help full....

Quaife is not a good LSD for drifting as it needs traction to work. Welded will probably work great. Just drop the throttle, turn in, then punch it. Should rotate right around.

The car won't want to turn in at autox with a welded diff, that's for sure. I have a friend who tried open, LSD, Detroit Locker (R190) and welded. He ended up using the LSD.

Yup, works great as long as you never have to turn....

The car won't want to turn in at autox with a welded diff, that's for sure.

you wont be able to corner worth beans

Dang! I guess the low 1:32.xxxs I ran at WSIR back when the ROD was a BSP car don't count. And those BSP regional and divisional class wins don't count either. I'll send the trophies back.

A car with a welded diff can be made to turn but you have to increase rear stiffness, run little to no rear toe, and a lot of front toe out. Basically you make the car loose and use the throttle to drive. Its actually a lot of fun and can be a fast way around a race track. But, as implied above, it isn't THE fastest way.

Yea i was reading around and talkin to some local shops they said they do 4 spot welds would you recomend more?

i couldnt for the life of me think of that but yeah thats what it is lol do you drive this car often on the street? im building a weekend warrior im thinking of welding
We have a little, I hope to be driving on the street at SEZ8, but when I start driving it alot I still we be running what I have.Jerry

"Dang! I guess the low 1:32.xxxs I ran at WSIR back when the ROD was a BSP car don't count. And those BSP regional and divisional class wins don't count either. I'll send the trophies back."

We won a lot of races in ITS with a welded diff too. And broke some stub axles. In fact the ultimate demise of the first car was a broken stub axle followed swiftly by tub fatal contact with a wall. Ultimately, like JohnC points out, we were faster with a LSD.

edit: Just to clarify- we sold that car and it wasn't under my care when the final shunt occured. Wouldn't want to tarnish my reputation (HA!) as a crew chief.

I drove that 510 with the welded diff and it was just like I described. You'd lift, turn, then the ass end would come around and you'd stomp the gas and go around the turn sideways. If you just turned into a corner without really abruptly lifting the throttle virtually nothing happened. It was very drifty but wasn't fast. If you got yours to turn in that's great John, but I still wouldn't recommend a welded diff for autox. Seen a lot of guys who use them for road racing, but the turns aren't as tight and I don't think the understeer issue is as bad at high speeds.