HybridZ

new engine problems

you're really right michael... i contacted the closest member of hybridz ryan (rytherwr) he was going to come help me today but i didnt contact him in time.. he's going to come sometime within the next 2 weeks to try and help me finish up the car.. great people here on this forum.. dont know this guy from any other person on the street but he's willing to bust some knuckles to help get the car to SEZ. get the engine broke in and all i have left is finding a front bumper (PLEASE if anyone has one that they replaced for a fiberglass or carbon one PM me and ill buy the stock unit if the price is right -ZX front bumper-), shifter (thought i had bought one w/tax money but i didnt.. lol ordered so many parts forgot it), driveshaft cut (only costing 45 bucks) and just weld up some of my emblems and marker holes... dont care if the car isnt PERFECT... long as its there lol

lol i kinda feel like a real jack azz right now...got a new CLEAR fuel filter and i got to looking at my fuel filter... was no gas in it.. so im like well dang... possibly my fuel pump isnt running right (have it wired on same fuse my electric fan is on w/a 30 amp fuse... thought maybe my fan is pulling some juice from my fuel pump.. is this possible??) wired it straight to ign and turned it on w/a bolt plugged in the end of the line... no gas still... so i thought hey... bleed the line jack azz... the fuel filter filled with gas.. and i stuck it back on the car... the car ACTUALLY FIRED UP W/O POURING GAS IN THE CARB!! lol.. and it actually ran for a while w/o hitting the throttle.. but finally died.. think the line needs to be bled a little more. AND one more thing... i have a manual choke... what do i have to do to hook it up properly? could that be why the car shuts off after like 10 seconds. also could the timing be a reason it shuts off? or do you think the line still has a little air in it... PSI is 6lbs... AND actually didnt REEK of unburnt fuel for some reason.... lol

Did you hook the fuel pump back up before you started it? If it ran fine without the fuel pump on, the problem must be related to the fuel pump.......(fuel pressure or float settings).

If the fuel pump was on, I'm curious why you need to bleed the fuel line again.......Is the fuel pump inlet below the gas tank outlet? Most electric fuel pumps can't suck fuel to them, so they must be mounted that way.

Another thing....my car did the exact same thing when I first bought it (ran great for about 20 seconds, then went downhill from there.....and would quit after about 1 minute total). My problem was caused by debris in the gas tank. My first guess was water in the gas....I removed the gas tank drain bolt, and much to my suprise.....NOTHING HAPPENED :shock: . There was so much debris in the tank, that the drain hole was plugged. The fuel pump couldn't draw enough fuel to keep the fuel pressure where it needed to be (Fuel Injected). As the pressure fell, so did the idle quality until it finally quit running. It ran great though for the first 20 seconds.

i rerouted new fuel line from just under the cab under the frame.. around the brake line.. then back up again to my FPR.. that way the headers weren't as close to the fuel line. i never bled the line.. just for some reason didnt think about it. i dont think i got ALL the air out the first time as the fuel filter isnt TOTALLY full of gasoline... i cleaned the gas tank around a month ago.. pump is in the stock location. its weird but all the sudden i got it to running right.. i unplugged the brake booster also though from the carb so THAT too could be a factor in why its now running right.. i KNOW bleeding the fuel line helped though because now it starts w/o putting gas directly in the carb.

also. i dont have my throttle cable connected... could that be a reason its dying? maybe not enough pressure on the linkage or does that matter?

if its getting correct fuel what else would cause it to die? would the choke not being connected be a reason? my dad has electric choke.. and doesnt have it wired up.. his runs fine.. mine is manual any difference there?

I don't think the choke not being connected has anything to do with it. The choke's job is to ensure a rich mixture when starting a cold engine. The choke must then opens up a little at a time as the engine heats up (manual or automatically). Maybe if your choke is stuck to cold, then the mixture will be rich but I don't know if that's enuf to make the engine quit.

In carburetors, at least what my Holley manual says, there could be vacuum leaks (or more accurately, air leaks into the vaccuum). The book says to use carb cleaner and spray around the areas you suspect air leaks like the carb base mounts, throttle spindle, etc.

If by spraying, you see sudden improvements, then you've found the leak or leaks. With vacuum being less, then the signals would be weak and the car could run very rich.

Also, check the idle adjusments as well as the air bleeds for the idle and main fuel well.

I know my contribution to your problem is somewhat generic but I thought I'd give you some insights I find in my book that may help you find the prob.

Cheers.

The fuel filter is between the gas tank and the fuel pump, right?

Not having the throttle linkage hooked up wouldn't affect anything. If it idles too low, there is and idle adjustment screw on the linkage (where the throttle cable hooks to it) screw it clockwise to increase idle speed.

As far as the manual choke goes, I don't think it makes a difference if it's hooked up or not.....as long as it's not moving on it's own. Take the air filter off, and make sure the choke stays open the whole time the engine is running (may have to pump the throttle a bit, to keep it running until it warms up). If the choke were to vibrate itself closed, that could definately kill the engine. After it warms up though, it should run fine with the choke open.

there is the pickup filter... then there is the fuel pump.. then the Fuel pressure regulator... then the clear filter then the PSI gauge then the carb.. i may have to idle the carb up a bit.. thanks for the help though guys.. its appreciated.. i need to get a book on holleys i guess since this will be a regular driven car once it is running.

i dont get to fool with the car as much as i want to. i could probably have the problem fixed right now... my 1 1/2 yr old is... lets just say not very cooperative lol wish he'd go to sleep now... wont leave my lap.. cant even put him down on the floor w/o crying.

i dont get to fool with the car as much as i want to. i could probably have the problem fixed right now... my 1 1/2 yr old is... lets just say not very cooperative lol wish he'd go to sleep now... wont leave my lap.. cant even put him down on the floor w/o crying.

Wait till he's a little older and he brings you the tail light lenses off your truck...(he watched you change the bulbs out once and figured the rest out on his own..)

Our kids are what we are here for...

In time all things will work out..

G

lol he already brings me tools... and also takes them and does what he wants with them... and now that i think about it..... my fuel gauge still isnt showing much pressure... when i pulled the zx engine l28 it was running a few secs then shutting off... maybe my problem is the fuel pump.. when i turn it on its not a steady stream... its more like continuous spurts. when i plug it off past the PSI gauge i can get a steady psi.. but while running to the engine i cant get a steady reading... i dont know... its aggravating... another thing my carb gasket was REALLY thin compared to what i call "normal" possibly it is thin enough that its allowing the carb to leak around the manifold

By the way what kind of fuel pump are you running? Also what size fuel line? Also what size filter at the rear of the gas tank? If it is a holley blue / red /black pump, it needs to be below the fuel tank / or should I say the fuel filter needs to be below the fuel tank in order to fill up with gas then the fuel pump below it some so it can be filled with gas then it should pump fine, sounds like to me it is having to prime itself all the time getting air into the system. You also need to be running at least 3/8 fuel line I would reccomend 1/2 inch. Hopefully your gas tank has a sump ?

Just some idea's......

John

lol he already brings me tools... and also takes them and does what he wants with them... and now that i think about it..... my fuel gauge still isnt showing much pressure... when i pulled the zx engine l28 it was running a few secs then shutting off... maybe my problem is the fuel pump.. when i turn it on its not a steady stream... its more like continuous spurts. when i plug it off past the PSI gauge i can get a steady psi.. but while running to the engine i cant get a steady reading... i dont know... its aggravating... another thing my carb gasket was REALLY thin compared to what i call "normal" possibly it is thin enough that its allowing the carb to leak around the manifold

Right on, John...I keep on thinking he said he was using the stock in-tank fuel pump. If that is the case, I'm thinking he should be using a flow-through fuel pressure regulator to route excess fuel back into the tank through the stock return line. I don't think the stock fuel pump was made to dead-head and it may fail if he keeps it like that. I could be wrong on both counts. :o)Either change the type of regulator or use a Holley Red pump that is already regulated at 7 psi so no worries and of course, follow your instructions for placement. Either way, sounds like he needs to replace the pump. .02 from this end.

Wayne

its the stock ZX tank and stock ZX pump that is mounted on the frame rail in the stock position. the fuel lines run stock all the way to just before the engine bay.. then i ran a line under the frame rail.. (out of the way of bottoming out and crushing of course) and then it goes up into the engine bay to my FPR then out of the FPR (mallory fuel pressure regulator) and into the fuel filter.. (glass see through kind designed for use with carbs) then out the filter into the pressure gauge.. then into the carb. ryan if we can get it right i bow to you the masta! lol. if you have a timing light that will help when you come too.. i was going to rent one but havent been able to get it running long enough and smooth enough to actually use one. also.. it STILL stinks bad and smokes bad smells of unburnt fuel.. possibly float is still stuck.. tried tapping the carb.. ah well.. im sure we can get it when you come over to help.. ill do the other small things that need to be done... (just to let you know i dont have a dash.. in the process of making a FG one)

its the stock ZX tank and stock ZX pump that is mounted on the frame rail in the stock position. the fuel lines run stock all the way to just before the engine bay.. then i ran a line under the frame rail.. (out of the way of bottoming out and crushing of course) and then it goes up into the engine bay to my FPR then out of the FPR (mallory fuel pressure regulator) and into the fuel filter.. (glass see through kind designed for use with carbs) then out the filter into the pressure gauge.. then into the carb.

The stock ZX fuel pump is rated at to high a pressure for your carb without a return. Wayne has the right idea.

Right on, John...I keep on thinking he said he was using the stock in-tank fuel pump. If that is the case, I'm thinking he should be using a flow-through fuel pressure regulator to route excess fuel back into the tank through the stock return line. I don't think the stock fuel pump was made to dead-head and it may fail if he keeps it like that. I could be wrong on both counts. :o)Either change the type of regulator or use a Holley Red pump that is already regulated at 7 psi so no worries and of course, follow your instructions for placement. Either way, sounds like he needs to replace the pump. .02 from this end.

Wayne

i was out of town this weekend as were you lol so havent messed with it..and as for the post about the return.. i've said like 3 times in this post i have a mallory 3 port (with return) fuel pressure regulator. so thats not the problem. and if you're free tyler as far as i know me and wayne are still up for this coming up weekend.. you're invited to come also if you're off.