HybridZ

S13 Steering Rack On S30?

yeah i have taken care of that, i have a modified stock rack, i cut more teeth into , and removed the spacers. but i want way more angle... its for a drift car. the modified rack is good, and greatly increased the turning radius and steering angle of the car, i still have less angle than some of the s13/14's out there at the track. will the motorsport steering knucles add anything more angle?

yeah i have taken care of that, i have a modified stock rack, i cut more teeth into , and removed the spacers. but i want way more angle... its for a drift car. the modified rack is good, and greatly increased the turning radius and steering angle of the car, i still have less angle than some of the s13/14's out there at the track. will the motorsport steering knucles add anything more angle?

can you post pics of whta you've done, please?

you cant see what i did to the rack, i disassembled it and cut 2 more teeth into the rod. and simpily removed the bushings, and trimmed the ends of teh rack housing 1/2 each side

so on the car it just looks like a normal rack. I still want more angle, I think if i could fix this problem it would be competitive on a professional level.

ahhhh, good to know

i think the shorter steering arms is about all i will be able to do, it has alot of steering angle, but im looking for that last little bit, the difference in hitting the steering lock mid drift and thinking oh crap i thought i had more steering, or pulling out of a big angle drift

i like the arizona z car ones with built in rca's those look nice. thats probably what im gonna get.

on a front steer car like our s30's the pinion is under the rack, so when you turn right the rack moves to the right. if you use a rear steer rack the pinion is on top of the rack and it will cause the wheels to turn the wrong direction if the rack is mounted in front.

so mounting it underneath or mounting it on it's stock crossmember would work though, right?

No, but there are plenty of other front steer power racks that are a lot easier to install, and there fairly cheep. Mine is a 99 subaru impreza rack that I got for $100.00 at a J yard.

sorry. just to clarify, by "its stock crossmember" i meant using the s13's cross member and mounting it on THAT crossmember's stock location.

that wouldnt work?

what about s14?

sorry. just to clarify, by "its stock crossmember" i meant using the s13's cross member and mounting it on THAT crossmember's stock location.

that wouldnt work?

what about s14?

I would think that you would have to graph the whole s13 suspension/spindle as well.

Yes that would work steering wise, but I don't think it's a practical solution to this problem, the track is wider and geting the struts in the correct location may prove impossible.

hehe.. i like wide =)

nothing a little improvisation can't fix :D