HybridZ

tokico ilumina shocks and springs installed

i bought the matched set about two weeks ago and i'm very pleased with the results but my question is..... do any of you guys with lowering spings have problems with the springs making noise when you turn your steering wheels all the way to one side? i'm wondering if there is a rubber seat that needs to be installed inbetween the spring cap and the strut seat?

i have the adjustable illuminas with azc lowering springs and it doesnt make a noise when i turn.

see its not when i turn while driving its only if i'm backing out of my driveway and i happen to to turn my wheel all the way in either direction... i've heard this is pretty common with lowering springs but i wasn't sure if anyone hhas come up with a remedy for it... i called tokico today and talked to a service rep... he said that the stock shocks mounts should have a rubber spring cap but mine are metal..

besides the noise everyonce in a while the suspension rides Awsome!! i leave them in the highest setting all day and it doesn't seem to bother me at all its just that i was wondering about the occasional noise it makes

The front struts have a bearing between the upper spring seat and the insulator. The rears have a rubber block. If you put everything back together right, and didn't mix front to back the front strut/spring/upper spring seat should all rotate under the insulator easily as an assembly when you turn the steering wheel.

The front struts have a bearing between the upper spring seat and the insulator. The rears have a rubber block. If you put everything back together right, and didn't mix front to back the front strut/spring/upper spring seat should all rotate under the insulator easily as an assembly when you turn the steering wheel.

i saw that bearing.... it looked like a wheel bearing and i just thought that i might be something that someone riged up on the inside of my strut housing for some reason (let me tell you there was alot of stuff riged :evil: in there.. so do you really think that the bearing would have anything to do with it making noise when i turn the wheel all the way to one side? only one side had the bearing on it... and the side that didn't have it made no noise

here is an after pic

zfrontsidebr7.jpg

here is what the back looks like

zbacksidepc0.jpg

this is what it looked like

sideofzgap1yq2.jpg

picture of it from side

zfromsideya8.jpg

busted old strut

bustedstrut1tc9.jpg

the back busted strut... they were all busted i guess being on the car for a million billion years doesn't help either.. the funny thing is it used to ride so smooth, i had no idea

bustedstrut2vo6.jpg

zonjackstandses4.jpg

b4 you guys get on me about it... yes my doors are a little darker then the rest of my car.. the guy that painted it did the worst possible job and i'm still heated about it.. unfortunatley i was in iraq when he finished it and when i got back it was too late to say anything..

I had it where there was a squeeking noise when I turned the wheel. The problem was that the spring seat was rubbing on the aftermarket strut boot.

I ziptied the boot to the spring seat now so it doesn't have to slide on it anymore.

see my noise isn't a squeeking noise its more of a loud poping noise i can tell that the spring is moving in the spring seat.. it seems like it keeps moving in and out of its groove

• 3 years later...

see my noise isn't a squeeking noise its more of a loud poping noise i can tell that the spring is moving in the spring seat.. it seems like it keeps moving in and out of its groove

what model tokicos are these? part #? I have the AZC strut body kit so I should be ready to go on these with the coilover dropped over...

yes, I just replied to a 3 year old thread.......

quote: see its not when i turn while driving its only if i'm backing out of my driveway and i happen to to turn my wheel all the way in either direction...

It might be your front tire rubbing on the edge of the front valence panel. Mine did that. Had to resort to a little artistry with my favorite hammer . . .

so do you really think that the bearing would have anything to do with it making noise when i turn the wheel all the way to one side? only one side had the bearing on it... and the side that didn't have it made no noise

Whether is does or not you need a bearing on both front struts. You should also clean those bearings and a regrease them every time you replace the struts.