HybridZ

building turbo adapter...how should i do it?

bobbyc

my 2 flanges came in today...i'm gonna make a spacer for the hx35...now i just need to know how i should make it...i have a couple rough drawings...was wondering if one design would be better over the other

here are the 2...if i do it straight..it's prob gonna hit the strut tower..round thing is the turbo

untitled.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

i'm going to be using a flange similar to that, but it has 2 sets of holes. 1 set to bolt up to a t4 style flange and then a set for a t3 style turbo to bolt up to the flange.

t3t4tiu.jpg

i made it shorter and didn't angle...made some progress...now i just have to cut the steel and fill in the sections between...make sure it's flush and weld it up...i can easily break it off from the flanges...i'll then clean it up and weld it all togetheri like it so far...comin along pretty good...it'll look tons better once i take a flapper to it and make it all pretty

adapter5.jpg

later on i can take it off and add on some pipe for an external wastegate...but for now i think this will work. i took pipe and sectioned it so i could get the curves on the inside to match up...cause they match up with the manifold...

later i will....for now i'm just gonna use the one on it

then, for now that'll be fine. but when you decide your ready to run an external wastegate the adapter with the bend will be best, mount the WG at the corner of the bend so the WG gets a better flow. check out maximum boost by corky bell, books amazing

The piece looks pretty good.

You proabbly already checked for clearance issues but make sure the turbo will clear the steering shaft. I tried to make a spacer almost identical to yours but like mentioned above i was also going to weld a piece of pipe out the bottom for the my external wastegate. Finally gave up on it because i just couldn't get my turbo to clear the steering shaft, but i have a zx. I know 240's have a different steering shaft and more room than a zx. Just a word of caution.

Blake

Guest 280ZForce

I did a nice thing and took your super dark pic and made it a lil more visible to see what's going on... good job on the fab work. Ubber close to the fender wall now though.

adapterandturbo.jpg

thanks....the cold side is actually gonna be adjusted...the wastegate is acutally gonna run under the IC piping...i'll take pics tomorrow...i re-clocked it tongiht...but the spacer actually gave me more room to play with it...should work out pretty nice