HybridZ

Pontiac GTO LS2 - what needs changing please ?

You said you can't use the JTR headers for your swap. If you don't want to pay an arm and a leg for someone to custom make the exhaust manifold I suggest you look into getting the stock stainless steel 97-98 C5 manifolds. They can be easily modified to work in your swap. Again these can be bought cheaply on Ebay. I have some info on how to modify them. GL

V.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks VinhZXT,

I have found a brand new set of C5 headers here in the UK but am still unsure they will fit. It has been suggested that I cut off the tube at the end of collector section and effectively route the pipes any direction I like, but here's the rub :

The car is RHD - without actually assembling it and trying it I still do not know whether they will fit - the steering rod (column) hits the sanderson headers right where the four pipes join into one.

The guy wants $400 for the headers that I then have to cut and shut to fit, whereas one of the best race exhaust manufacturers in the UK will build custom stainless headers to suit, full twin pipe system including X over and silencers for $3-4,000.

By the time I have cut and shut the C5 headers and bought mandrel bent stainless tube, decent mufflers etc I will be half way to a fully tuned, professionally built stainless race exhaust.

Damn...... why do things ALWAYS cost twice as much as you first budget for ? :-) :-)

A friend of mine has kindly donated an LS1 F body oil pan, the rest of the bits will all be ordered new from GM parts direct. With the exchange rate at the moment and the fact that stuff is cheaper in the states anyway, now is a fantastic time for us to buy American stuff and have it shipped to the UK.

Guest Gr8White

When done I will compile a list of everything that was needed with part numbers and post a "how to transplant a GTO engine" thread.

You da man! Can't wait to get started on mine later this year...

Since your car is a RHD I will suggest you to make your own engine mounts. This will allow you to move the engine further back. This in turn will help the exhaust manifold clear the steering shaft. Yes you can use the 97-98 C5 stock headers. It's not just a matter of cutting the lower sections after the collector. You will need to do something like this for them to work:

2079260_37_full.jpg

Basically you will need to cut a wedge shape under each pipe and fold the whole thing in. Otherwise they will dump right into your frame rails. If you fold the headers close enough to the motor and slide the motor all the way back it should clear your steering shaft. Since your car is a RHD the drivetrain should be offset to the passenger side. This should give you the same amount space on the driver side of the engine for the steering shaft. If money is not a problem then you don't need to waste time with this obviously. Good luck

Vinh

PS. I might be going to Ireland next summer to visit my dad and will come to England for a visit. Maybe I stop by to check out your finished project. lol.