HybridZ

87 Buick Grand National or 280zx w/ lt1

Calico

ok I have a slight delema! I have always been into the z cars, I have never owned a hybid z just 300zx(z32). Recently I was think about building a 280zxt powered LT1 with a 4l60e or a t56!

The car that already have is a Complete 87 buick Grand National parts car and I also have a nice non turbo Regal rolling chassis! I was gonna put the two cars together, and have another nice turbo buick! The times I was hoping to run were in the mid to low elevens which would be no problem with the scary fast buicks. As everyone know the buicks are kinda pricey so i am starting to second guess!

Now the Z car on the other hand has to be a 280zx Turbo. The Z car will prolly handle better, has 4 wheel disc brakes, t-tops, aero dynamics, has the option of a manual tranny and is considerably lighter. Also the lt1 would make good power and should be quite formidable. I'm not such which one would be cheaper to build? Also does anyone know any times estimated that I should expect a mildly build lt1 with a 4l60e in a 81-83 280zxturbo to produce.

Any non bias in put would be greatly appreciated.

1. Which ever one I choose I want the car to be a daily driver in the summer.

2.be very reliable

3. ok on gas

4. decently quick

5. comfortable

6. a good all around performcer.

you should be able to pick up a good 280zx fairly cheap. Why not put the GN setup in the z. you probably have a good knowledge of the motor and already have it on hand. there are a couple guys running that setup on here. check it out. as fast as they are in a tank of a regal the z would fly. also being a v6 would set it back behind the front wheels making for a more neutral handling car. the zx's are not the best handling cars and need all the help they can get. this would also make for better weight transfer than the v8. my $.02 tc.

TONY C-thanks for the info, I do have a great understanding of the lc2(grand national motor but I lack the $$$ to swap it in the datsun! That was the original plan but it cost alot of $$ to do something like that as there are no kits for it! I'm trying to keep the cost at least somewhat modest!

hmmm I dunno man I am having trouble findin any datsuns, there aren't many around my way!

No problem!:wink: I personally think the 280zx gets a bad rap for the trailing arm rear suspension but unless your a hardcore racer I don't think it affects the normal driver. I don't think my car handles like a pile of crap. I do have new struts, lowering springs, and bigger sway bars though, nothing crazy.

I think the trailing arm suspension makes for god lauches when drag racing but that's just me.

Guy

I just used the stock LT1 harness and modified it. If you can read a wiring diagram you can edit a factory harness. You just need to delete a few things and add some power and grounds to a few wires. If you buy a painless harness you still have to add the powers and grounds, they just label them for you. I think $500-600 for a harness is a shame but thats just me!

Guy

yeah that is what I'm p[rolly gonna end up doing. After I figure out everything that I need for the datsun swap. I'm still trying to figure out everything like tranny lines, power steering lines, a/c lines, fuel lines ect! didn't realise how much work this would be! nothing is easy huh? What are you guys doing as far as these parts go?

What are you guys doing as far as tranny lines, power steering lines, a/c lines, fuel lines ect! Anyone vendors sell anything?

*I have a T56 so no tranny lines.

*I have a reciprocating gear box set up in my car, I am running the LT1 P/S pump, 280ZX lines with a fitting that I had made to connect the 280ZX high pressure line to the back of the LT1 pump. Basically its just half a datsun fitting and half a chevy fitting that have been welded together!

*No A/C in my car.

*I was running the stock fuel lines, but now I am running -6AN return and supply hard lines from my MSD fuel pump, up to a mallory cartrige style fuel filter, through a Aeromotive adjustable fuel pressure regulator, into my fuel rails that now have -6AN fittings welded into the back of them.

Does anyone sell any of this......nope sorry. You have to pretty much piece it all together youself.

Guy