HybridZ

New intercooler progress

240hoke

I was looking on garret's site and they have the same size core, 18x6x3.5 and its rated for 425 hp. I hope to push about 500 through it running methonal. We will see how that goes!

Those vertical intercoolers are supposed to cool quite well. I imagine the limits of that intercooler is more about flow than cooling. I don't think methanol will help you go past the limits of the IC if that is the case.

Yeah, let me know what your calculations come up with. I would be interested to know as I want to get a similar intercooler myself. Perhaps if the intercooler runs below your desired HP level then you can compansate for the lack of flow (oxygen) with some of the bottled variety (nitrous) Not to mention the gains from the cooling effect.

Alrighty, came up with some conflicting information.

Corky Bell has a chart listed in maximum boost which gives flow rates based on internal flow AREA. In my case I have .25"x3.5" tubes, 28 of them total. This gives me an internal flow area of 24.5 sq.in. According to his chart this would equate to an airflow rate of 500cfm or 333bhp. Amount of front surface area is calculated from there based on thickness of the core.

According to treadstone this is the information given on my core:

1103 cfm

<1 psi pressure drop

Supports 735hp

Corky's number and treadstone numbers for flow rate vs. horsepower are identical. But there figures for the core are WAYYYYYYY off.

1103 seems like a strange number to make up and I hope that treadstone would have tested the units to get these numbers. If they are right about flow rate then I am golden.

Hey Austin,

I think you'll be fine, at least for the 20psi you have planned. Calculating the flow area based on Corky's book, using the charge face instead, you get 18.5" x 3.5" x .45 = 29 square inches(Note that if you use .30 instead of .25 in your calculations, you get the same). Since your ic is a bar/plate/top down(meaning short flow path) design, it should flow better than most ic's with the same internal flow area. Using the same chart in Bell's book, it looks like your ic could flow 600 to 700 cfm or around 450 bhp. I see Treadstone's listing on eBay. Their claims don't seem out of line with other vendors, but I wouldn't make plans based on them. I would use Corky's instead. Better yet, you can see that Garrett is making 460 whp with the same size core.

Edit. Here's a table I found showing flow rates/ hp:

http://www.racetep.com/tneticatoaic.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I made the mounting bungs at work :) I spend alot of time in the machine shop. Got a CNC goodie jsut about done but ill post pictures of that when its complete and working :)

Got the intercooler setup done this weekend. I still need to route the cold air intake for the turbo, but Im still waiting on the piping to come in as I ordered some odd bend angles.

The I/C turned out just I wanted, nice and hidden. Also have lots of room for other goodies up front. You can see the Alkycontrol Methonal pump and tank mounted up front as well.

Here are the pipes, I left the engine bay side brushed as i was having trouble covering up the aluminum. Everythign infront of the rad support is wrinkle black to hide it.

verticle_IC_004.sized.jpgThe meth tank should be hidden almost completely by the hood when its on.

verticle_IC_012.sized.jpg

verticle_IC_017.sized.jpg

verticle_IC_018.sized.jpg

verticle_IC_023.sized.jpg

What are those on the back :) mmmmmm SEZ is jsut around the corner!

verticle_IC_025.sized.jpg

verticle_IC_026.sized.jpg

Guest 280ZForce

damn Austin great minds think alike man...I've envised that IC piping coloration before, but only satn black and chrome (but damn, close enough). I just never thought to actually do it. But glad you did it, looks awesome! Loving the whole, now you see me, now you don't appeal to it.

Thanks alot for the comliments guys, You got it Justin the MT's are 255/50/r16's they should do the trick for me I hope :)

My intake piping for the turbo is on its way so I should get that done next weekend along with my tranny install ;):)

Awesome man, thats the same IC I purchased but I will have to mount mine higher then yours since I am using the stock front end. Very nice work, I love it how you manage to make everything look OEM.

And I also had the same idea of spraying my IC black, now did you actually spray the fins too or just the end tanks?

Thanks alot.

These cores are brazed together and to cover up the different colors the core itself is spray painted silver. So what I ended up doing is taping the ends of very well to seal the i/c up and then sand blasted the entire thing.

This got the unit clean and free of any paint (their paint was pretty thick). I then powdercoated the tanks wrinkle black and gave the core a coat of high heat black spray paint, just enough to cover it. Should actually be better then before.

-Austin

The setup looks very clean. I've been following this thread and like how you've mounted it. I'll probably do the same.

I see that you used one mounting bracket attached to the stock radiator captive nut. Where are the remainder of your supports? I you simply using the inlet piping as support as well?

The i/c is mounted on the bottom with two more steel tabs much like the top, the other bung will be used for the air filter. Hopefully i will get that done this weekend and post some pictures of the complete system.

I highly doubt the paint will have much of an efect on the cooling, its a very thin coat, and like I mentioned these cores come painted anyway with athick silver paint.. I stripped all that off.