HybridZ

Tilt front-end

gjc5500

I had the crazy idea of making a tilt frontend on my 240z after seeing the 280 with it. I was wondering (with framing ofcourse) if i could weld the fenders to the hood and cut them even with the wheel well, and build a tubed frame for the front, woudl it work with steel? Also, what exactly am i getting into with this project?

A few people here have done this as far as I know.. there is a considerable amount of work involved, but the result is very cool! Using the stock steel hood/fenders would be a bit on the heavy side I think, but would still work.. You'd probly want some sort of helper shocks (like a hatch shock) incorperated into it.

I figured that i would need a gas shock to help hold/lift it up. ever since i saw the 280 with it i have been thinking about it. so what exactly whoudl i have to do to get the hood/fenders to clear the lights? this is the only problem im having. or would the lights/light housing come up w/ the hooD?

I considered this at one time. I would consider moving the parting line down from the top of the arch because the portion of the fender remaining solidly attached to the body would have a very sharp edge just about where you would lean up against it for maintenance.