HybridZ

Head gasket problems

justin260z

I just recently rebuilt my engine, and it has a little over 1000 miles on it now. The problem is the head gasket leaks antifreeze on the outside of the engine. I got the block decked, and te head milled. There is no way they are warped or cracked. I put radiator stop leak in it, but that only worked for a coulpe days. I dont know how thick the head gasket is, but it is a Felpro. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

-Justin

Did you clean both the head and deck of all oil residue? This will effect how well the gasket seals. Is it just weeping, or leaking really bad. I've seen a bunch of L6s slowly weep coolant out the side of the gasket on the passenger side.

Fo the NA applications, the Nissan gasket is the best, unless you want to increas CR slightly with the Felpro. A friend of mine uses only Nissan OEM head gaskets in his L6 powered SCCA GT2 Z32 (15:1 CR), and has never had one fail.

How much do the nissan head gaskets go for? Thickness? I want to bump my compression to maybe 9.5, or 10:1. Is this realistic with just a simple head gasket upgrade? Oh, my engine is an l28, with an e88 head.

edit: I made 10000% sure that everything was clean, and free of oily residue before I put it all together. It isnt a really bad leak, but it is noticable and it drips coolant from the passenger side on the ground slightly.

Do a search and you'll find lots of info on gaskets. The HKS metal gaskets are great but require copper spray sealer. The Nissan gasket is very good. Fel Pro = failure prone. The Fel Pro is also a 1mm gasket which is .040" thick, so it increases compression. Stock is 1.25mm or about .052" thick if I'm remembering correctly.