HybridZ

Beat to death I am sure... Brakes

So I happened to somehow find the time to get out to a wreckers today, and was peeking around for interesting stuff.

Came across a 89 toyota 4x4 truck, and pulled the calipers and got them cheap. Went to the parts store to grab some new rotors and did a test fit using a spacer I had borrowed of a friend locally. When fitting the parts together I noticed that there is only ~0.030" clearance between rotor and each pad... seems really tight to me! Rotor was 0.866" thick... 84 300zx non-turbo rotor.

So any of you that have done this swap, is the lack of clearance an issue? Right calipers/wrong calipers? Right rotors/wrong rotors? Thanks guys...

ar those the solid rotor truck? or vented? also the 4 runner caliper is wider than the truck - a truck caliper (from vented) with NEW pads and a new rotor wont work very well. used rotor maybe .

i only get 4runner calipers NOT truck ones. and i have given up on used anyway- rebuild are only $60 ea after you have the cores.

Yes, it will work. If you have the S12W calipers and the 84 300ZX rotor. It will work. Depending on what year and model you have, will depend what size spacer you will need. Check this site for more info. They sell the spacer on this site to. Would have cost me a lot less if I would have been able to do it that way. Make sure to torq everthing down to spec's. If you are good at it. You can also rebend the small hard line and reuse it. Just don't kink it. Also rebleed them well. After that enjoy it. Good Luck. 2thumbs.gif

These are vented truck calipers, not 4runner ones. Stamped S12W. Hmm, I'm sure I could still use them as a core if necessary. But I need to know exactly what I am looking for in exchange. Will an 89 4runner caliper be the one I want? Or another year? Scca? Anyone? Beuller? smile.gif

I find it somewhat amusing if there are a bunch of different sizes in the S12W calipers... You'd think that they'd stick to one. Does anyone know specifically if .030" is enough rotor to caliper clearence? Thanks all... hard to find time to do all this stuff while I'm at school.

Originally posted by scca:

ar those the solid rotor truck? or vented? also the 4 runner caliper is wider than the truck - a truck caliper (from vented) with NEW pads and a new rotor wont work very well. used rotor maybe .

i only get 4runner calipers NOT truck ones. and i have given up on used anyway- rebuild are only $60 ea after you have the cores.

I'm curious to know how the rotors that Richard found can be vented like the 4-Runner ones if they supposed to be solid??

I'm not trying to antagonistic here, just trying to understand what the options are.

From what I've read above, the wider $-Runner calipers fit the (wider?) vented rotors, while the truck calipers fit the narrower, solid rotors? Is this supposed to be correct? If it is, then the vented 300ZX rotors only work with the 4-Runner calipers.

If, in fact, that Richard has found truck calipers that were used with vented rotors, according to RedNeckZ, they should work with the 300ZX vented rotors, regardless of whether or not they come from a 4-Runner?

While we are hashing this FAQ material out, are there any better or other options to this setup? Or is this beating a dead horse even more? hey, wait a minute, I think I saw it move...

Davy

truck calipers are narrower than 4runner, also the pads for each are DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are different thickness

you may be able to use one caliper with the other pads but i have found that new rotors with new pads wont work on truck calipers.

Maybe this will help. These are the calipers I've been using with 300ZX vented rotors on my 240Z. They are from an 86 or 87 Toyota 4WD Truck which also uses vented rotors. The gap where the scale is is about 7/8" The caliper is stamped "S12+8"

br_DSCN0153.jpg

br_DSCN0154.jpg

br_DSCN0155.jpg

Originally posted by scca:

have you tried those calipers with new pads on new rotors or ?

and did you buy truck or 4runner pads IF it was all new

Pads were new, aftermarket (KVR), and for the truck. Rotors were used and had been turned once by me to true them up. I'm not sure if they had been turned prior to that , but they were well within the spec limit.

I am going to be using different rotors soon, going from 4 lug to 5. (I've ordered the spacers from Mike) If I encounter any problems I'll let everyone know.

Here is another pic showing the caliper installed on the 4-lug rotor.

sn_DSCN0019.jpg

Originally posted by zthang43:

Those pics are very helpful. Question though (Paul R), what has to be done to use the 300ZX vented rotors? Any spacers or anything, or do they just bolt on? I've been pretty confused by a lot of stuff I have read here. Also, which years could you use the 300ZX rotors from? They went to 5 lug after a while didn't they? So far I have been reading posts talking about differences between the Z31 and Z32. What the heck is Z31 and Z32? Anyway, sorry for all the questions; I'm still learning. Thanks yall.

Yes, you need a spacer. I don't remember the exact thickness (I have the drawing at work) but is was around .7 inch. You can see it in the previous picture between the hub and rotor (its steel so it has some surface rust like the rotor).

The 4-lug rotors are from 84-85 non-turbo 300ZX's.

Z31 refers to 1st generaton 300ZX's (84-89) Z32 refers to 2nd gen 300ZX (90-96).

Guest zthang43

Ah, enlightenment at last. Thanks Paul R, now I understand. For some reason it just didn't make sense to me before.

Hey, if you don't mind posting the dimensions of that spacer sometime, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Guest zthang43

Those pics are very helpful. Question though (Paul R), what has to be done to use the 300ZX vented rotors? Any spacers or anything, or do they just bolt on? I've been pretty confused by a lot of stuff I have read here. Also, which years could you use the 300ZX rotors from? They went to 5 lug after a while didn't they? So far I have been reading posts talking about differences between the Z31 and Z32. What the heck is Z31 and Z32? Anyway, sorry for all the questions; I'm still learning. Thanks yall.