HybridZ

BRAIN TEASER !985 300zx HELP Please

Hi I have a 1985 300zx that idels fine up to 2200 RPM then boogs out .

Things Ive done so far replaced MAF also fuel pump and filter new air filter removed the CAT. didn't help.Took it to shop and they said bad mass air flo sensor so I took one off my other 85zx no difference. I put the old MAF back or my other zx it ran fine. wonder if it could be a bad conputer it read ok at the shop. or a shot in the witing to the MAF I don't know how to check that. Thanks Danny

Don't guess. Put a gauge on it... lol. Why do so many people like throwing money away on tossing parts at a car . instead of doing quick cheap diagnostics. It's faster , easier and cheaper. Also solves the problem instead of giving you a headache. Maybe someone on this list in the area can help you properly diagnose it.

Sounds like the ECU is running in a limp/safe mode because it KNOWS there is a problem with something (wiring or a sensor giving faulty readings) so I'd say get the book and start testing.

Out of curiosity, does your ecu have the red and green lights on one side? My 85 200sx did, and there is a simple test you can do. note; the ECU was under the passenger seat in my 200sx, but I could see under it to look at the lights. There is a little switch you can click (may have to remove a cover plate on the ecu) and when you turn the key to 'on' it will do a self diagnostic. It will flash the lights in various sequences, like 'red, red, green, green, green {2 second pause} and do it 3 times before moving on to the next code. For example, that would be saying a code '23'. (red is multiples of 1, green is 10) You'll need the book to decifer what the numbers referr too, but it may give you a good starting point for testing.