HybridZ

Moroso oil accumulators

260DET

Thinking about using one of these engine oil accumulators on the project car's VG30DET engine. Have fitted a (better) DETT oil pickup and sump and done a couple of little mods to the sump itself but am still concerned that the engine may momentarily drop oil pressure on the race track. An accumulator will also add a bit more oil capacity too. See details here http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?N=400105+300033+115&autoview=sku

So what is the experience with these, the cheapest one seems OK for what I need. Do they make a difference in actual use?

Quite a few people around here use them in track cars. They seem to be a good intermediate step between a wet sump and a dry sump. Canton is another popular brand, but I've only heard good things about the Moroso.

John

Thanks John, think the 1 quart Accusump model will suit my application, see here

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/accusump_purchase/accusumps.html

But to work immediately it seems it should be plumbed into the block oil gallery after the filter, otherwise there is nothing stopping the released oil from running back towards the oil pump.

I think the best install is to plumb the accusump into the oil cooler lines, and use a check valve so there isn't any backflow. Some of the sandwich plates may have a checkvalve, but I'm not familiar with them.

As the engine comes up to temp, always cycle the accusump a couple of times to get hot oil in it.

John

One concern, when idling the (turbo) engine down prior to switching off, won't the accumulated oil go back into the system due to the usual relatively low oil pressure of a hot idling engine? If the accumulator is run at a low release pressure to combat that then its effectiveness will suffer should a momentary pressure drop occur on the track.

The accumulator has a valve on it. You rev it up, then close the valve. That locks in the oil at high pressure. Then before you start the next time you open the valve, that sends oil into the system before you ever turn the key.

I don't have one by the way, but I'm tempted to buy one...

When the accumulator releases the oil is determined by how much air pressure you put in it, the valve is to store some oil at higher pressure to prelube at startup if you desire. At least in my experience, the release pressure will be below idle engine oil pressure. For instance, let's say the engine has 60psi hot at high rpm, and 30 psi at hot idle. You would probably put 25psi in the empty accumulator, and it would keep your oil psi no less than 25psi as long as the reserve held out. The min pressure is when the accumulator is empty, it builds up to whatever the engine pressure is when full.

John