HybridZ

Aftermarket Fuel Pressure Regulator Question

tommyboy

I have a N/A 280ZX and I recently bought an aftermarket fuel rail. I know that I need an aftermarket FPR for it, but I don't know which to get. I'm keeping everything pretty stock, so I don't need anything that runs extreme pressure or anything. I was looking at these 2 from Aeromotive,

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=10

http://www.aeromotiveinc.com/pdetail.php?prod=15

but again, I'm not sure. Any help you guys can give me would be appreciated. Thankx.

I'm down in Sierra Vista. It's 70 miles south of Tucson, and like 30 miles north of the border. That FPR was actually the one I was really thinking about getting. It says that the rising ratio is 1:1 when referencing boost. Since I have an N/A ZX, do I need to worry about what that is? (Sorry, I'm still a little new to fuel pressure stuff, but I'm a fast learner!)

You WANT a rising rate of 1:1. That means that as you increase boost, the regulator increases fuel pressure so the injector sees a constant pressure differential between in and out, and its spray pattern is consistent.

It seems that higher than 1:1 is for dodgey people who are too lazy/cheap to invest in the ability to tune their engine. Or I could be wrong...?

Dave

The thing is, my car doesn't have a turbo on it i.e., no boost. I'm only trying to dress the engine bay up, that's why I asked if I need to worry about the referencing boost thing.

Without a vacuum port it won't lower pressure at idle like the stock on. I would get a $30 one on ebay if you are just going for looks and no longer like the stocker and aren't worried about moving alot of fuel through it.

I just went through this on one of our Z's. Megasquirt is going on this NA car so I decided there wasn't any reason to go with an adjustable FPR. I fitted a GM rail-end regulator to the end of a JSK fuel rail. Cheap and clean without having to run more FI hose or a long vacuum hose.

• 1 year later...
i have an aeromotive fuel pressure regulator with my L28et....wat should the psi be when the car is at idle.???

If your regulator didn't come with instructions you can probably download it off the Aeromotive website.

That said, my Aeromotive instructions said to set the static pressue at 43 psi IIRC (that's without the vacuum reference, and the hose plugged).

When you plug the vacuum reference hose back on, you should drop to about 36 psi, assuming your engine is pulling 7 psi of vacuum.

I think this is a pretty general rule of thumb for EFI and has probably been covered MANY-o times before...:wink: